Chapter Two: The Transaction

Start from the beginning

"Do you have anywhere to go?" Lena's second question made Supergirl's chest feel numb. The Luthor leaned against her desk again, her thumb pressed against her chin in thought.

"I... I hate to ask a favor," Supergirl muttered, "Especially after everything that happened."

"You need a place to hide?"

"Yeah." Supergirl felt her shoulders tense up. Lena just had to deal with another family member put behind bars, and she was repaying her like this? Lena pondered the idea for a moment, her eyes cast to the floor. It felt like her eyes lit up the office when they rested on the Kryptonian again.

"There's an area in the basement of L-Corp that you can use as a hideout. It's empty right now, but I can get living arrangements in there."

"No! No, that's too much. My base of operations can bring that here. They won't leave a trace," Supergirl protested.

Lena chuckled, "Alright, have it your way."

"Thanks, Lena," Supergirl smiled, "I owe you one." Lena's eyes lit up for a moment before she began to head down the hallway. She motioned for the Kryptonian to follow her, though she stopped near the big doors.

"You're pretty clever, looking for a hideout here," Lena commented as she swung open one of the doors to her office, "Right under Lex's old place. Come on, I'll show you where it is."

"Are you sure you're okay with it?" Supergirl fretted, "I don't want to throw you back into things if you don't want to. I'd get it."

Lena paused in front of the door, turning her head to look back at her, "This is as much of my responsibility as it is yours. I want to help as much as I can."

Sure enough, Jess was sitting at a desk on the other side. She abandoned her work when Supergirl walked through the doors, red cape, boots, and all. She gave her a quick wave and a smile, and Supergirl grinned back at her. As Lena led her to the elevator, Supergirl pulled out her phone. She fidgeted with the touch screen until her texts with Alex showed on the screen. She typed without looking, smiling at Lena as they both entered the elevator. Even from the little elevator car, she could hear Jess hyperventilating from their encounter.

L-Corp is a go. Bring everything to my location.

When she looked up, the elevator doors were closing. It shook before making its descent, making Supergirl jump. Lena's eyes shot to the Kryptonian, and Supergirl realized how tense her body was.

"You seem on edge," Lena suggested.

"Yeah, it's been a wild few days." Supergirl took a deep breath, letting her shoulders droop. She found herself fidgeting with the hem of her cape again. Her phone lit up, and she stole a glance at the new text.

On it, sis. The DEO's getting it ready.

"That makes two of us," Lena agreed, and Supergirl's gaze shifted back to her. She leaned against the wall opposite of Supergirl, her piercing green eyes drifting off in thought. She opened up the black case again, removing the earpods to fit them in. Supergirl didn't notice the bags under her eyes until now.

"Are you doing okay?" Supergirl asked. Lena rose her eyebrows, her face riddled with confusion.

"Um, yeah. I was never close to my family, anyway," Lena decided. Supergirl's facial expression must have shown her doubt because the Luthor rolled her eyes and snickered at her.

"There's more to it than that," Supergirl challenged her.

The elevator shook as it came to a halt, announcing its arrival with a quiet ding. Both women walked out into another hallway, a sea of cubicles on the opposite end. A few employees walked by them, dressed in suits and their strides full of purpose. They both took quick glances at the two women, their eyes wide in the presence of the girl wearing the symbol of the House of El.