Her

"Good evening class," Day's teacher started. Day shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Once again, he had been given one of the back row seats of the class. "My name is Mr. Gates, and I will be your Manipulation I teacher." At the same moment, the door creaked open and Day's eyes widened.

"That's the girl from lunch!" thought Day.

"Excuse me," she asked in a soft voice. "Is this Manipulation I?"

"Oh, uhm yes." Mr. Gates replied. Her gaze shifted around the room, but didn't linger on anything. "You must be Ms. Allevia. Would you like help to get to your seat? It's over there." He pointed at the seat next to Day's. She shook her head politely.

"Thank you, I'm fine." Her steps were small and careful. Her eyes avoided the ground and continued to wander around the room without substance. Day couldn't help but stare at her.

"Alright then, class." Mr. Gates resumed. "I'm assuming that everyone here is a manipulator. You probably already know this, but every acceleration is a form of manipulation." He pulled up a holographic slide containing bullets and charts. Day sneaked a peek at the strange girl. She seemed to be listening, but her gaze drifted all over the place "As said before, manipulators branch off into many categories. The most iconic one is known as the caster." He brought up a picture of a cartoon mage. "In the old days, people treated magic as fiction. However the rise of the Acceleration gene changed all of that. You probably know several casters." Day sneaked another peek at her. She wasn't writing anything down or taking notes like the rest of the class. Instead, she had an audio recorder held in her hand. "They have the privilege to manipulate elements and materials to their will. This is where you might see some of your peers shooting fire or bending light to their will" A girl in the front row raised her hand. "Yes?"

"What about enhancers then? Aren't they considered manipulators too?"

"Ah excellent question." Mr. Gates continued. "I was just getting there. Casters are the main category of manipulators. Like I said, everyone here is a manipulator, and every type of acceleration is a form of manipulation." Day observed her once more.

"Is she really blind?" he wondered. "Her gaze wanders all around the class and she takes no notes. She's so... peculiar."

"Enhancers are a subcategory of manipulation. If you take Enhancement I, then you'll learn more about that there. The purpose of this class is to help you better understand every type of acceleration out there."

When the class ended, Day watched the girl stop the recording and stand up. He didn't notice it before, but he saw that she only carried a small, white messenger bag. Unlike the rest of the students, she didn't lug around a gigantic backpack. Day grabbed his belongings and rushed out of class.

Enhancement I flew by for Day. He tried to pay attention during class, but he found himself stuck in curiosity with the strange girl that he had met.

"Hey Day," Luna called to Day. He kept moving forward on the sidewalk, ignoring her. She bumped him in the head with her fist, and he turned to her annoyed.

"Hey - what the? Oh hey Luna." Day rubbed his head.

"You ok? You look like you saw a ghost."

"Yea, I'm fine. I just can't quite figure out that girl." They began to approach a huge building. "Uh is this where our class is? It's so far from the rest of campus."

"Yeah, I heard rumors that the gym was huge, but I didn't think it'd be that big. Also, are you talking about that weird girl that Charles was talking about? What's she like?"

"I don't know. That's the problem" Day opened the door and they stepped inside. It looked like a regular gym at first glance. Signs pointed them to where they had to go.