Sleepless Thoughts Of The Poets

(This song is the new theme song for the book)

(Everyone skip the letters to two of my friends at the bottom.)

Jack fell asleep on the couch, Mark slept on the floor and I attempted to sleep in Mark's room. No matter what, I couldn't sleep. I don't know if it's the after-shock adrenaline or if I'm waiting for the mama bear Addaline to march in and drag me by the ear back to that hospital. Whatever it is, I'm sleepless. 

Sometimes, I wonder if thoughts know what sleep is.

Tossing and turning, the blankets tangled around me. Sleep is a distant dream that I can't reach out far enough to catch. My arms hugged an extra pillow next to the one my head rested on. 

What am I doing?

Do you want to go to college?

I dunno...

Do you want to speak another language?

Maybe...

Do you want to have a career?

I guess...?

Do you want to have a place to call home?

I think I do...

Do you want to forget?

Yes.

Tossing and turning in the bed, nothing felt comfortable. It finally got to the point I couldn't stand it anymore.

"I can't do this." I threw the blankets off.

Quietly walking through the living room, a thin blanket shawled my shoulders, I listened to the house. Jack snored a bit , being stretched on the couch and Mark mumbled things in his sleep, sprawled on the floor. Something about being the first to discover edible helium in space? 

His little delusions of his dreams made me smile. I tiptoed over to the back door and stepped out as quietly as possible. Once outside, I sat on the bench woven of 'branches' with cushions matching the theme. 

The sky has no stars. The horizon has too much light and air pollution. The city is California's New York. There's enough to complain about over here.

Everything is different. 

Mark has changed quite a bit, too. I'm impressed because it's been a short amount of time.

During my stay in the hospital, he helped me get back with my guitar while I waited for the doctor to release me. My guitar teacher should be in town soon to continue teaching me. I like Mark's lessons. He makes me laugh. Not only that, he would sneak in some cookies for me. Apparently, he had to fight Jack to get the cookies there whole. Sometimes Jack had to come and apologize for eating my cookies. In the end, he would make up for it with melting ice cream. Mark couldn't stop roaring with laughter when Jack pulled a hot dog out of his pant pocket and buns from his jacket's inside pockets. I was happy he brought me some packets of mustard and ketchup to go with it. I have never seen him laugh so hard, he was on the floor crying and having a hard time breathing. Jack is so innocent, he didn't understand what he did to make Mark laugh that hard. 

Mark really grew up. 

He became the Strong Boy I knew he would become.

The door slid open. 

"(Y/N)?" Mark stood between the door and the wall, rubbing his eyes. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry, did I disturb your research on edible helium in space?"