Five

Y/N woke up first the next morning. She wasn't sure of the time but the sun was just starting to rise over the sea. Spencer was snoring softly, his head still next to hers.

Shit, she realised, they'd been out here all night. She noted the heavier blankets covering them both, sitting up slowly and resting her back against the couch. Had Spencer been and got them, or had someone else seen them?

Oh god, if someone else had seen them she could only imagine the jokes that were going to get made at their expense. Y/N shifted again, cracking her neck and stretching out her legs. She felt incredibly rested considering she'd probably only had around four to five hours sleep. Perhaps because she hadn't been tossing and turning due to the heat like she had been the previous nights.

Spencer stirred beside her, his eyes opening and a look of mild confusion crossing his face.

"Morning," she whispered.

He gathered his bearings and sat up besides her.

"Morning," he croaked checking his watch. It was around five thirty am.

"Did you.... erm. Did you fetch the extra blankets?"

Spencer looked down, only just realising he had an extra layer over him. He shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

"Right. That means someone saw us then."

"Maybe it was Rossi?" Spencer replied.

"We can only hope, you know what the other two will say... "

He nodded, looking out to the ocean. Y/N followed his gaze, watching the sun slowly start to make it's appearance.

"Spence..."

"Mmmm."

"I'm sorry for teasing you the other night. And last night actually." Y/N suddenly felt the need to apologise to her friend.

"It's okay. I know you don't actually mean anything by it. And you don't tease me half as much as Morgan does."

Y/N knew he sometimes grew weary of Derek's playful jokes, especially when Reid was the butt of them.

"He doesn't mean anything by them either. Not really at least. I just... Sometimes he goes too far and sometimes I do too. I think I make you uncomfortable sometimes."

Where this sudden need for a heart to heart was coming from, she didn't know.

"You do sometimes if I'm being honest. Because I'm not sure how to take it. Like when Garcia flirts with me, I know she's kidding and messing around. But with you, sometimes you say things in such a way that I can't read whether you're being serious or not. Then I think that I'm being stupid because why would you be being serious and actually flirt with me..."

His shoulders suddenly seemed to hunch and Y/N could almost feel the self-loathing wash over him.

"Spencer.... I flirt with a lot of people. Half the time I don't mean anything by it. With you... This is going to sound strange but, I'm not actually sure if I'm being serious or not either. What's going to sound even stranger here, do you wanna know what Penelope said to me last night?"

"Is it good or bad?" Spencer turned slightly to look at her, curious.

She shrugged. "Depends. But anyway. She told me that she thinks there's something between us."

Reid's mouth opened slightly and then he closed it again. She had literally no idea why she'd even told him that. And now she felt silly.

"She does... Like..... How? What is she going on exactly?"