Chapter 3: Sweets and Squibs

Harry awoke to a slight tapping on his window in the morning. There were two owls outside his window. Once Harry had taken the letters from them, they swooped away. Hedwig hooted softly to Harry. "You can go play for a while, just come back later in case I have a reply letter." He told his beautiful snowy owl as he reached for the first letter. It looked like an official letter from the ministry. It read:

Dear Mr. Potter:

Due to the removal of all Educational Decrees issued during your last term at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, you have been reinstated as an active Quidditch player. Your broom will be returned to you at the start of the school year.

Sincerely,

Imelda Bagshot

Dept. of Magical Games and Sports

Harry smiled and placed the letter back in the envelope. He had thought he would be allowed to play again, but it felt great to know for sure. The second letter was from Lupin, he recognised the handwriting. Except when he opened the letter there was nothing written on it. Harry turned the parchment over in his hands several times before he realised the message must be hidden in case the owl was intercepted. "Now what?" Harry asked himself, and then he remembered the Marauder's Map. Still Harry wasn't sure if the password to reveal the map would work without his wand. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good," he told the letter, immediately long lines of Lupin's scrawling handwriting appeared.

Dear Harry:

I discussed your desire to leave Privet Drive with professor Dumbledore this morning. We are working on safeguards to ensure your protection when away from your aunt. We will not owl you of when we will pick you up. It may be tomorrow or next month, try to be as ready as possible. I know it will be very difficult on you coming back to Headquarters. It was difficult for me as well. Talking about Sirius will help you start to heal. I hope when you arrive we can spend some time together. I would love to tell you about some of the adventures your father, Sirius and I had. There are some other personal things I hope we can talk about as well. Just know that I am thinking about you and will be here for you when you need me to.

Your Friend,

Remus J. Lupin

Harry had silent tears falling down his face as he said, "Mischief managed," and watched Remus' caring words fade away. He wasn't as close to Remus as he had been to Sirius. Harry figured that it was because Lupin had been his professor, but it would be nice to talk about Sirius and his parents. He liked talking with Remus; he reminded him a lot of Hermione. Harry smiled, he guessed Hermione was the Remus equivalent, he was the James equivalent and Ron was the Sirius equivalent. It was funny to think that his dad had done some of the same stupid things when he was in school.

Harry decided to pack up all the stuff he had thrown all around his room in the hopes the Order would be coming sooner rather than later. He put away everything in his trunk, leaving a few changes of clothes at the top and his book out on his desk. He would be ready in less than one minute when they came to get him.

He smiled as headed down for breakfast with a pocketful of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes sweets. He would just accidentally drop one on the floor for Dudley to find. Fred and George had put a note in the bag explaining that all the effects would wear off over time, none lasting more than an hour so that he wouldn't have to do magic to reverse the effect and could even try some himself if he wanted.

"Good morning!" Harry said as he sat down at the table helping himself to breakfast. The Dursleys looked scared at how cheerful Harry was being. "Did you have a nice time at Aunt Marge's?" He asked, knowing how much it bothered his uncle when he talked to them.