Chapter 3 - We could do some jazz together.

Chapter Three - Sage's POV

Sunday - 24th March

It had been three days since we were attacked by the Hunters. Three days since my brother had slipped into a coma and three days since my best friend had been killed.

For one of those three days I had been wolf-less, my body healing after the wolfsbane had been injected into me. I had remained unconscious for only two hours and when I awoke there was no sign of silver left in my system. The wolfsbane however had blocked my wolf for a whole day, but I was able to deal with it.

She ended up returning early the next morning, whining about our mate. I had ended up pushing her to the back of my mind, not in the mood to hear her whining.

The mate that killed my best friend. I thought bitterly as I dig my nails into the palm of my hand. Two days after the returning of my wolf we were having the funeral, for the seventeen wolves that had given up their lives in that battle.

Some part of me still held onto the thought that Bethany would awake with that bright smile of hers and that carefree laughter. But deep down I knew she wouldn't and I was still coming to terms with that fact.

As I observe myself in the mirror I hear a light knock on the door. It was my mother, her scent of honey and sugar reaching me even through the door.

"Come in." I mumbled quietly, my gaze still focused on me in the mirror.

I was wearing a black dress with a lace overlay, it reached just about my knees and I had a white belt around my waist. The fabric felt soft against my skin and it was easy me to move around in. My black hair in gentle waves down my back and a black headband keeping bits of hair out of my face.

I hear my door squeak open and my eyes flicker up to meet my Mum's in the mirror. She is wearing a black dress like myself, her dark brown hair pulled up into a bun. It looked simple, but elegant.

"It's time." Mum murmured, walking up behind me and reaching for my hand. Her fingers wrapped around mine and she squeezed, giving me a small smile.

I bowed my head slightly, picking up the white rose on my dressing table with my free hand. I held it close to my chest, breathing in the sweet scent. I had specifically picked the rose from the flower garden, knowing white roses were Bethany's favourite. You'd always find her in the flower garden, attending to the flowers and taking special care of the white roses. Every so often she would pick one for me and leave it in a vase in my room as a surprise.

That was how sweet Bethany was. Always caring for others.

The thought made me smile as I breathed in the scent again.

Mum led me out of the house, her grip tight around my fingers as if I were about to disappear. I wished I could, I just wanted to run away.

Everyone was gathered in the back yard. The seventeen bodies each laid on the ground, completely still and lifeless. In death we didn't groom them like a human would, or hide their wounds. It was a sign of honour to the ones who had died in battle to show what they had died for.

They all laid bare on the ground, hands crossed over one another. We only covered their bodies if the wounds were too brutal to show.

Werewolf funerals were different from human ones.

Our funerals were performed at night, while the moon was high in the sky. We didn't have coffins or cemeteries to bury them in, so they were buried in the forest. Our kind was part of nature, so once we died we thought it was only fair is we gave our bodies to nature.