Chapter Fifteen

AIDEN

I pretended to be asleep when Trish was taking care of me. I don't want her to leave but a part of me wants her gone. Still pretending, I heard her talking on the phone.

"I can't come with you to the movie theater. Aiden's sick"

"I really can't"

"Sorry Kate I'll make it up to you okay?"

She's supposed to be having fun with Kate and not taking care of me. I need to do something to make her leave.

After she went downstairs, I changed into my shirt and jeans. I grabbed my car keys and went straight down. I saw Trish with the twins watching a movie.

"Where do you think you're going? You're sick Aiden" she asked me.

"Not anymore. Bye." I said and went straight to the car.

It's six in the evening and she's still not leaving. What the heck is the problem? I can feel my cheeks burning. Oh, crap! My fever is worsening. I slept at the back seat and was awaken by a phone call. It was mom.

"Hello?"

"Aiden, where are you!? It's seven and you're sick! The twins told me that -"

"Calm down mom. I'll explain later. I'll be there in a minute."

With that I went out of the car and walk back home. I didn't really leave. I just stayed inside my car, parked it somewhere where I can see the house and hidden from their view at the same time.

Once I was inside the house, my mom rushed to me and hugged me tight, like I was lost for an entire week.

"Mom, I'm okay. Where's Trish?"

"She left a few minutes ago but never mind Trish for now. You're obviously not fine. You're burning hot, Aiden!"

Actually, I feel the same way. My head hurts so bad. I feel so numb. The images in front of me are now blurred.

"Don't worry, I'm -"

"AIDEN!"

------------

The next morning, I was awaken when someone opened the door.

"Mom?"

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

"Better, I think?"

"Here, drink some soup. You made me worried last night. Where did you go? The twins told me you looked pale when you left."

"I'm sorry for making you worried. I just...needed time on my own, to breath fresh air."

Mom touched my forehead the way she does back when I was young. I just miss how much she cares. It's like I was a child once again.

"Slight fever. Nothing much to worry unlike last night. Finish the soup and I'll be back for your medicine."

"Okay."

Before mom closed the door behind her, I asked her, "Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I've been depressed lately. I have no one to talk to, except you"

She cupped my cheeks and smiled. "Tell me anything, Aiden. What is it?"

I breathe heavily as I incline my head. "You know about Trish and I, right?"

"Yes, Aiden"

"One night, she accidentally confessed to me her feelings, that she loves me but I told her that I don't feel the same way. Oh my god! Please tell me that I did the right thing."

"You did the right thing, son. From the very start, it was never meant to be."

I buried my face on her chest. She was hugging me tightly in her arms. She's my mom. It's okay to cry.