Chapter Eight

AIDEN

"Why can't the girl remember you?" Trish asked me softly.

I shrugged. "I don't know, angel. I didn't ask her"

I looped an arm around her as we watch the movie. Her head was still resting on my shoulders.

"Maybe she has amnesia just like me"

I was stunned. When I heard the word amnesia, I started to feel an ache in my chest again.

"You have amnesia?"

"Yes. I lost my memories but not all. Every year, I gain some and I lose some"

"How? How did you have amnesia?" She raised her head looking into my eyes. I held her hand squeezing it gently.

"Remember the night I told you I got hit by a car? When I woke up in the hospital I couldn't remember anything so my parents explained it all to me. The doctor said that I have a long term memory lost. I forgot the person that I last thought of before I got hit. I will forget him or her and some memories that I had. Up until now, I can't remember that person"

My world shattered into tiny bits of ice. That's why she couldn't remember me.

"I didn't know, angel. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Aiden"

"Did they tell you why you crossed the street?"

"They said I was going to the post office to get some package but that's it"

It is my fault.

"What's wrong?"

"I just.. I just never mind, angel."

"Tell me"

I deserved to be forgotten.

"Nothing"

She turned away and we continued watching the movie. I couldn't help thinking about what she just said to me. It was passed 12 am now and I presumed that she's already sleeping. I turned off the television and placed the dishes in the sink quietly. I didn't want to wake her up so I carried Trish to her room and put her to bed. After making sure that she was okay, I decided to take a quick shower. I went to the bathroom and took my green shirt off. I stared at the mirror looking at the scar on my back. I got it from a fight with Roden last last month. He was taunting my friend and I got exasperated so I threw a punch at his face. He didn't backed down and taunted me more. The fight began and he was on the floor after five minutes. But the fight didn't end there. Something cut my back. It was a small knife and it hit me. I was immediately sent to the hospital. Of course, my parents never stopped scolding me.

The scar healed really fast though. I removed my jeans and boxers as I step into the shower. I felt the warm droplets of water massaging my bare back. A lot of thoughts were popping in my mind.

I can't love Trish. I'm a mess. I don't do any good to her. I can't even protect her. SHE'S MY COUSIN. THIS IS WRONG.

I thought of all the things that happened to us since she got here. It was all wrong. The past can't happen again. I told myself, I fucking told myself to stay away but I didn't. I tried, I really tried BUT I COULDN'T.

Trish is like a drug that I couldn't get enough off. I was high of her. I need her. I want her. She's my everything and it hurts so much. This whole situation is impossible. It's like picking up a broken mirror; I picked it up hoping it would go back to normal and some fairy tale twist will happen but it's not that easy. I picked up the bits and pieces of the mirror and I got hurt for trying. I bled because I chose to do the things that I thought was right. The problem is not that she can't remember me, it's not that someone wanted to kill her, it's the fact that we're cousins and it will never change. I will never have her.