Killer Betrayals chapter 15 (slideshow)

Start from the beginning

Letting out a breath the nurse looked at me with sympathy shining in her eyes.  “Anna was admitted yesterday with a head wound.  She was apparently attacked in her home and is still unresponsive.”

I heard a muffled sob, and glanced to Rachel seeing her begin to break down.  I felt my world crumbling.  How could this be happening?

“I need to see her.  Now.” 

“Mr. Martinez, I can’t allow that.  We need to wait for the doctor; he should be here momentarily to look you over.  You are in no condition to….”

I didn’t wait for her to continue as I began jerking wires off of myself and attempted to swing my legs over the side of the bed.  Unfortunately, I was a lot weaker than I had anticipated, and slumped back down.  I heard the nurse tisking me, and let out a feral growl.  Just then I saw a middle aged man with short red hair and faded blue eyes walk in.  He seemed to take in the scene in a glance and then headed my way.

“I see your finally awake Mr. Martinez, I’m Dr. Young,” he introduced himself, holding out a hand for me to shake.  Reluctantly I took it and gave it a firm shake.  “I see you’re already causing quite a stir around here,” he said in amusement, eyes twinkling.

“No disrespect doctor, but if someone doesn’t take me to see my partner now, I will cause more than just a stir around here.”

Surprising me he chuckled, “Well if you’re well enough to be this passionate after what you went through, I’m sure something can be arranged.  Just let me look you over real quick, and make sure everything is healing properly.”

Gaping at him, expecting him to have put up a stink about it instead of agreeing, I could only nod my head in agreement and mumble a quiet, “Thank you.”

“It’s not a problem.  Now let’s get this business out of the way so you can go see your partner.”

Moments later I was in a wheelchair, something I would normally have despised, and was on my way to Anna’s room.  Entering I saw her pale form lying motionless on the bed and felt tears prick my eyes.  This wasn’t my Anna, she was too still, too quiet.  She wasn’t radiating with life.  Rachel pushed me closer and I heard her say something. 

“What was that?”  I asked feeling as though I was coming out of a trance.  I had been so focused on Anna that I hadn’t noticed a black haired man sitting in a chair next to her bed.

“I was just asking Reece if there has been any news,” Rachel told me.  Reece?  Who was that?  Noticing my bafflement, the man stood up and came over to me.

“You must be Jose,” he said looking me over curiously.  “I’m Reece.  I’ve been Anna’s partner since you were injured.”  I gave him a quick once over, taking in his tired and haggard appearance before settling my gaze back on Anna.

“What happened to her?” I asked, sadness lacing my voice and making it sound thick.

“We aren’t entirely sure what happened yet.  She was found by some friends on the floor near the front entryway of her home,” he swiped a hand through his hair and gripped it so hard it looked painful, “she had been hit by some sort of blunt object in the back of the head and was bleeding heavily. She…she lost a lot of blood…”  I could see him flinch at his words and could only wonder what Anna meant to him.

Anna’s POV

It was like I was floating in a never ending sea.  Everything was too bright, too vivid to take in.  Suddenly it all changed and I was sitting on a swing.  Glancing around I recognized the playground that Eva and I always played at when we were growing up.  I began to pump my legs faster and faster, loving the weightless feeling and the butterflies it caused to explode in my stomach. 

After a while I slowed down, letting my feet scrape the ground down dirt beneath me.  Sensing another presence I stiffened slightly and glanced beside me. 

“Eva?” I gasped, confusion sweeping through me leaving me reeling.

“Anna, I need you to wake up.  It’s not your time yet, you have to go back.”

“Eva, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.  What was she on about?

“You need to open your eyes, now!” She screamed at me as if she were panicked.  I couldn’t understand what was happening, my eyes were open.  Looking back at her she began to fade, and I could feel my eyes tearing up and my heart clenching, “Eva, don’t go!  I’ve missed you so much, please don’t go!”  I was becoming hysterical and couldn’t seem to stop myself.

Eva looked at me again with a sad smile on her face, “It’s time for me to go I just needed to see you again.  Now wake up, Anna.  Please,” she whispered just before she completely faded away.

NOT EDITED!  If you notice a mistake, kindly point it out. :)

Please comment, fan, vote *puppy eyes*

@lilmurphy18: HE SPOKE!!!! :D