Happy Birthday, Steve

Start from the beginning

    Sarah was waiting in the bedroom when I came back out. She gave me a huge smile and I felt my heart stop for a moment again; she was so beautiful. Her long, dark, curly hair cascaded down her back, her golden brown eyes full of happiness and something else I couldn't place. She always made me feel like I was where I belonged, at least when I was with her. She stepped closer to me, wrapping her arms around my torso. I pulled her into my arms, kissing her with an intensity that left us both breathless. She pulled back, resting her head on my chest and rubbing her hands over my back.

    "They're waiting for you, Steve. You're the last one down tonight."

    "Sorry. Lost track of time, I guess."

    "It's okay. Ready?"

    "As I'll ever be." I offered her my arm and we went down the steps. Sarah led me to the dining room and opened the door, taking my hand and pulling me inside. It was then that I noticed that everyone was there and waiting for me.

    "Happy Birthday, Steve!" they cried, startling me. I felt a huge smile on my face as I took it all in. I didn't know how she'd managed to pull this off, but I was glad she had.

    "Surprise, Steve. Bet you thought I forgot your birthday." Sarah squeezed my hand and smiled up at me.

    "The thought had crossed my mind. Thank you." I tilted her face up and gave her a gentle kiss. The room broke out in applause and I remembered we had an audience. She laughed as my face flushed, pulling me forward again. Everyone we passed took a moment to say happy birthday and give me a hug or a kiss on the cheek or both. For as empty as I'd felt a short time ago, my heart was overflowing at this show of affection from my friends.

    Eventually, I made it to where Sarah wanted me at the table and Clint came in carrying a big cake with almost a hundred candles on it. I glanced over at Natasha, who smirked, taking pictures of it all. There was a lot of laughter and I could have sworn one of Tony's robots was holding a fire extinguisher in the corner.

    "I had the wrong number on the last one." Natasha shrugged. "This time I got it right. Happy 94th birthday, Steve. Make a wish and blow out the candles."

    I looked over at Sarah and she nodded. I closed my eyes and then blew out the candles. I almost got them all in one breath, but that was a lot of candles. Clint moved the cake out of the way and Nat brought over a pile of gifts.

    "Guys, you didn't have to get me anything," I protested.

    Tony clapped me on the shoulder with a smile. "You missed a lot of birthdays doing time as a Capsicle. We're all glad they finally found you, even if it took longer than anyone ever thought it would. Happy Birthday, Gramps." He pointed to a red and gold wrapped box. "Go on, open it."

    I tore the colorful paper off to find an old Yankees baseball cap and an equally old but more beat up Brooklyn Dodgers baseball cap. I promptly put the Dodgers hat on, smiling as it slipped right on, fitting perfectly.

    "Thanks, Tony, Pepper! This is great!"

    "Open the one from me and Clint next," said Natasha, smiling widely and pointing at a large, festively wrapped box.

    I tore off the paper and opened the box, pausing as I absorbed what it was. It was a full paint set – artist quality.

    "The easel is already at your apartment, along with some canvas to get you started." Clint grinned at Natasha before looking back at me. "I don't like to wrap things." Everyone chuckled and I smiled.

    "Thanks Clint, Nat. I needed this."

    "This one's from Archie, Jace and I, with a little help from Mr Stark and Agent Hill to make the arrangements." Mrs Evans slid over a longer, thin box. I broke the tape and pried it open. Inside were tickets to a baseball game this weekend for Jace, Mr Evans, Sarah and the team. We were going to see the Nats play the Rockies.