Chapter Two: Going Home

Alexis sat in the passenger seat of Chelsea's SUV, watching the streetlights whiz by. The warm wind from the open window blew her hair around wildly, and she smiled, thinking of her dog, Harding. The image of her pup with his head out the car window entered her mind: his fur plastered back against his head, his nose twitching furiously, his eyes squinting against the sting of the wind. She missed him so much. She missed all of her family so much.

The twenty-two-year-old smoothed out her skirt and sighed. She wished her family had been at her graduation ceremony, but they couldn't afford three airplane tickets to fly halfway across the country, and her father wasn't feeling too well. She couldn't wait to go home and see them. In two days, after she had finished celebrating with her friends and packing her things, she would begin the journey home. Once she actually got home, however, she wasn't quite sure what she would do. She figured she would find an apartment and a job. Her parents would probably insist that she stay with them for a few weeks, so she would work it out then.

The radio loudly blasted Chelsea's favorite song over the rush of the wind. Chelsea was one of Alexis's roommates, and probably the one she had become most attached to. She was rather loud and clumsy, but had a pretty face and loved people. She and Alexis didn't get along very well when they had first met: Alexis was a stickler for the rules, but Chelsea went wherever she wanted whenever she wanted. Four years later, the two were best friends and had both changed. Alexis was a bit more relaxed with the rules, and Chelsea respected them.

Alexis's roommate turned down the music and glanced at her friend.

"What's wrong, Alex?" she asked. "You seem down."

Alexis smiled slightly. "It's nothing, Chels. I'm just tired."

"Yeah you are! Those last finals were nuts! But hey, we'll never have to take them again, right?" She looked suspiciously at her friend. "Right? Alex, don't tell me you're going to grad school."

Alexis laughed. "Gosh, no. I'm done with school."

"Good," Chelsea shifted her attention back to the road, " 'cause tonight we're gonna party!"

"I can't believe you convinced Kavi to throw a party for ALL the graduating seniors," Alexis exclaimed.

"Hey, he's my boyfriend. I just have to push the right buttons, and I get what I want. Besides, he's the only person I know who has a place big enough to host any type of party."

"Yeah, a party for like ten people. Not for the entire senior year. And you shouldn't make him do things he doesn't want to do. People, even boys, are not tools."

Chelsea snorted. "Shut up. You know he loves parties just as much as I do."

They stopped at a light, and Chelsea drummed her fingers on the steering wheel.

"How come you don't have a boyfriend?" she asked suddenly. "Guys usually fall head over heels for girls like you."

Alexis raised an eyebrow. "Girls like me?"

"Yeah. You're pretty, smart, short, kind, ect. Guys love girls like you."

"Awww, thanks Chels."

There was a moment of silence.

"So?"

"So what?"

"Why don't you have a guy?"

Alexis turned to her friend. "Chelsea, marrying someone is a big deal. I can't just say yes to the first guy who proposes."

"That's what I did," Chelsea protested.

"Yeah, but you and Kavi are perfect for each other. I... I just haven't found the... right guy... yet." Alexis leaned back in her seat, a conflicted look on her face.