Chapter Twenty-Eight: Be Lamented

Benji's P.O.V.

It's like my brain just short circuited.

My vision began to blur, the greens and pinks of the room slowly melting together in front of my eyes, people calling my name and their voices only falling on deaf ears.

I hadn't been in here in so long. The door was closed for a reason. I never wanted to step foot in this place again. Everything reminded me of her, and while it hurt to think about the past, preserving her scent and all of the memories we had by locking them in her room to never be touched again was the only solution that hurt less than the others.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to vomit. I wanted to curl into myself and never be disturbed again.

Because her scent, her scent, had hit my face like a freight train and now suddenly I was surrounded by bubble gum and flowers.

"Benji. Hey, look at me. Benji." A hand clasping my elbow managed to bring me slightly out of my stupor. I shook my head, attempting to clear my vision and focus on my surroundings. Lion was racing across the room to where Annie stood, her arm still reaching inside of her toy chest to touch all of her toys and carry them away from her room. Lion's frail arms scooped up the little girl, causing all of the stuffed toys to fall from her grasp and hit the floor. One kitten in particular she refused to let go of though.

It was a medium sized cat, with soft white fur and a pink bow wrapped gingerly around the neck. The blue glass eyes sparkled in the light that was steadily waning from the window behind them. Thin white ruffled curtains shielded most of light from the darkening room. The cat was frayed, it slumped in Annie's hands, no longer able to stand firm from all of the years of play.

Lion reached for it, his face pleading with her to let it go as he looked back and forth between my frozen figure and Annie's wobbling lips. "Please Baby, please just put it down," he begged softly. His little sister held onto it even tighter, if possible, strangling the kitten's neck and crushing the poor thing to the front of her body. She shook her head vehemently, refusing again and again to let it go.

When Lion went to grab it she started to tear up and looked at everyone's faces, searching for someone to save her. She looked so confused, as if she couldn't tell what was wrong with this entire picture. Her small pink lips pushed forward and shook, her blue eyes glistening with tears that began to fall down her porcelain cheeks and into her messy red waves. "Annie Baby, I need the cat. Give me the cat."

Lion's words only made her more upset, as if her mood was being effected by all of the sudden negative energy coming from the people standing around her. "But I like her Lee Lee, she's mine."

I tore my arm from Declan's hand, only glancing briefly to see him chewing desperately at his bottom lip. I made it across the room in about two strides and ripped the stuffed animal out of Annie's hands. "No." I'm not totally sure what my face looked like, but Annie watched me with wide innocent eyes, with a look of someone watching her idle scold them, and then she burst into tears.

These weren't tiny sniffles either. Her chest heaved as she hiccupped through her tears, her cheeks turning as red as her hair and her eyes shut tight. Even with her eyes closed though, her tears still flowed along the hills of her small face like waves.

I expected her to hide inside Lion's shirt to get away from me. Everyone wants to get away from, I wouldn't blame her. I just couldn't stand the thought of what my sister would think, seeing me let another little girl that holds my heart openly hug her favorite kitty cat.

Instead, while her wailing never ceased, Annie's arms flew up and towards me. She screamed my named, begging for my arms, for me of all people. When she began to choke from getting so worked up, and Lion's cooing and bouncing did no good, I hesitantly lifted her up and into my own embrace. My anger immediately subsided as the little girl wrapped her body around mine, her face seeking out my neck to hide in. Her hands fisted at the back of my shirt, as she mumbled, "Ben Ben," over and over in my ear.

I set the kitten down on the bed behind me and tentatively placed one arm under her bottom and cradled the back of her head with my other. My hand was so big compared to hers, even though they're thinner than most, that I could fit pretty much her whole head in my palm. I brushed her hair back and out of her face. Her face was pinched, but she calmed down as my petting continued. I felt Declan come up behind me, his arms encircling my waist and his nose fitting between my two shoulder blades. His warm body pressed tight against mine, and as I looked up and saw Lion's long hair falling haphazardly into his crushed face, it felt like all the dams had finally broken.

Tears quickly filled my eyes and spilled over, cold and wet onto my cheeks. I cried silently, choking on the mucus that stuck in the back of my throat. With all of my crying, I began to heave, my chest trying to expel all of the sad thoughts swirling around my head. My breath was coming too quick and maybe I would collapse because I couldn't think clearly again.

But then I was being kissed. A small hand cupped my left cheek, brushing my skin gently, as petal soft lips descended on mine. They were quick, just a peck. As if the body was afraid that I could ever reject his advances. But it was my first peck. And he tasted like strawberry chapstick.

"Benji, you're okay. Everyone's here for you. I'm so so sorry, but you. Are. Okay." Lion stood in front of me, his face close to mine as I gasped almost as an afterthought to the kiss. I felt Declan nuzzle my neck, and suddenly couldn't find any reason to be upset.

Until.

"BENJAMIN!"

________________________________________________

A/N

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS

i love you and appreciate everyone sticking around :) I know its short but I'm a bit rusty, I did do nanowrimo 2016 though so if anyone wants me to post that story, I can. Its about fluffy lesbian fairies ;)

**BENJI ON THE SIDE BLESS. COLE MOHR'S SOUL**

Luvs, and Kisses

Kitty