Chapie 1: How It All Began

Amber's POV

"Ugh! Seriously Ruby?" I cried, "That's my top and you know that I was planning on wearing it today!"

"Well finders, keepers! I found it and you know that I don't have any other clean tops, Amber!"

"Then you're supposed to do laundry! How many times do I have to tell you not to let it pile up." I tackle my little sister after chasing her around the house for 3 minutes. I'm still in my pajamas but the 5 minute timer for school goes off. I had set it a long time ago because this type of thing happens almost every single day!

"Ha! Now you can't take back your shirt!" Ruby said climbing out from under me.

I grumble to myself quickly changing into a light purple t-shirt with blue flower stitching around the seams paired with a knee-high blue skirt with yellow hemming. I look over at my sister. She's wearing a pink long-sleeved shirt with dark purple zig-zag stitching (mine!) and a yellow knee-high skirt with an orange flower print. We've both thrown on plain flats. Mine are a light blue and hers are bubble-gum pink. We hop on our bikes and head to school like we do every morning since our father is at work.

When we get to school we have exactly three minutes to hangout. While most people would head straight to their best friends, my best friend is my sister. We just talk about our favorite movies for the 3 minutes that we had and then head off to class.

Ruby's POV

"You little shrimp! You're such a weak little dork, how have you even survived this long?", Gregory the school bully yells as he slaps me in the face. Class just got out, like, two minutes ago and I'm already getting bullied, I mean come on!

"Well you're just a big meanie who doesn't know how to play nice!", I retort. Ok. Maybe that wasn't such an insult, but it's true. I'm a very easy-going person, but this, this is pushing it. Faintly I hear Greg and his goons yelling insults at me, but I'm paying too much attention to keeping myself in check to understand them. All of a sudden I feel a brick collide with my stomach. I double over and snap back to the real world in pain, a lot of pain.

"What, are you deaf now too! Maybe we'll have more fun with your sister!", Greg jeers.

"Don't you dare touch my sister.", I say straightening up.

"Like you could do anything to stop me.", he replied snarkily while his sad little group of friends laugh behind him.

"I bet I can. I am much, much stronger than you'll ever be." I'm scared. Like really scared now. If they hurt Amber, I don't care if the big sister is the one that's supposed to protect the little sister, I'm going to make these idiots wish they were never born.

"Well like we'd ever believe that. Your sister is the dumbest, most pig-faced..."

At this point I stop listening. All I can see is red. I stare Greg down, or up since I'm shorter than him. All of a sudden I hear a high pitched scream. Still looking at Greg I notice the girlish two year old scream is coming from him! I force myself to look down. Two large scaly feet meet my gaze. Oh, just great. My sister is going to kill me this time for sure.

Amber's POV

A scream. I must have been talking to my teacher about the assignment for, what, four minutes after class ended? And there's already a scream? Being the adventurous 16 year old I am, I run straight toward the commotion. When I get there I feel faint. Most people look like they're going to faint too, but for a different reason. Taking a deep breath I walk straight in front of the fire-breathing lizard I know is my sister. I hear a few gasps and a few thuds most likely marking those who just fainted.