I will need to talk to him later.

Miss Crabbesbrook approached her Ladyship.

“Welcome to Downton Genevieve, we were all so excited to hear of your arrival.” Her ladyship stated a warm, friendly smile echoed by her bright blue eyes and blinding smile Carson had grown to know during his years in Downton.

“It was so gracious of you to accept me Cousin Cora, after these horrid last few years.” Genevieve stated in an accent Carson hadn’t heard before but assumed to be Australian.

“It’s a pleasure to have you here; the whole house needed a few fresh faces.” Her ladyship said glancing at Carson and Mrs Hughes with a grin which Carson returned with a pleasant nod and smile.

“Oh yes definitely!” Rose chimed in. “It gets so boring around here sometimes!”

His Lordship gave a smile as he stepped forward to join his Ladyship. “Cousin Robert.” Genevieve said with a bright smile. “I haven’t seen you since you visited my father when I was only four years old.”

His lordship lowered his eyes before meeting Miss Crabbesbrook’s’ “You have my condolences Genevieve. Your father was one of my closest friends, not just my cousin.”

“Five years alone in Brisbane, it was quite dull. It wasn’t the same after he and Lucas died at Gallipoli…” Genevieve trailed off. “Anyway. What’s done is done. I’m here and I must say it’s wonderful.”

Miss Crabbesbrook smiled a gracious smile, one Carson recognised as genuine and unique.

The girl was taught well by her father.

“I do hope so. Carson had prepared the house immaculately for your arrival.” His Lordship said gesturing to Carson. Genevieve met his eyes and gave him that same smile.

“His lordship is too kind.” Carson said.

“One can never be too kind.” Genevieve chuckled holding her hand out to Carson as if for him to shake it. He stared at it not knowing what she intended. She drew back her hand awkwardly. Carson’s face reddened.

“Do you not hand shake when you meet people up here in England?” She asked a small blush of embarrassment on her cheeks.

Lady Mary walked up to her from where she was standing with Lady Edith. “The men do, women tend not to. I’m Mary, your cousin.”

“Ah I see, a pleasure to meet you. I didn’t realise you did things a little differently up here.” Genevieve stated with a flushed face. “No wonder people found me odd on the trip over.”

Lady Mary chuckled and continued to chat with her, Lady Edith soon joining them and introducing herself as his Lordship and Ladyship talked to Mr Branson about an unknown subject. Before Carson knew it, Mrs Hughes stepped forward with Anna. Genevieve turned to meet them, towering at least half a foot over Mrs Hughes.

“Good afternoon Miss Crabbesbrook, this is Anna. She will be your ladies maid until we can find one for you. If that pleases you Miss Crabbesbrook?”

Genevieve nodded, “Thankyou Mrs...?”

“Hughes.” She stated politely.

“Thank you Mrs Hughes.” She grinned, “And, it’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Anna.”

A housemaid dressed in a dress with a pinafore and cap approached Carson, quickly stating that the tea had been served before hurrying off. He stepped forward with a polite disposition.

“If you would follow me, there is tea in the drawing room.” He said gesturing to the doorway in which James and the other footmen had taken their places again.