Ingenious

Entering into the first official day of her Spring Break, Allison felt like one million bucks as she slipped on her pumps and donned her cap. The sidelight gleamed from the porch and she glanced out the window to see if there were any cars pulling up into her driveway yet. Disappointed when headlights didn't greet her, she stomped over and sat down on the bench in her homey entryway, mind buzzing and heels tapping on the laminate tiles. It wasn’t like she was an impatient person, but after concocting the most ingenious plan with her best friend over the phone she couldn’t help but wish her friend would drive only a little bit faster. Although she wasn’t that big on ice hockey, Hayley loved mischief a lot and extremely attractive men even more, so naturally she signed up for the job Allison had in mind.

 It was ingenious really. Just sneak into the Joe Louis Arena and pop a squat somewhere along the first row, then convince the cute hockey boys to enter into the sacred vow of holy matrimony and bada-boom bada-bing – cash galore. Knowing well enough that most people would find their morals questionable, but Allison was assured that this was all for her friend who wasn’t in the best of all places at this point in her life thanks to her cruddy, trailer-trash boyfriend down in Pennsylvania. The ass loved smoking weed more than cleaning his privates.

 A knock sounded at the door and before she knew it, she found herself in the passenger’s seat of Hayley’s off-white Ford Escalade driving down I-75 at ninety miles an hour. Windows rolled down and Journey blaring through the nearly blown out car speakers, Allison turned to look at her friend who was looking just as thrilled as she was. “We are the smartest people, I swear to God.”

 “We should become President. We would do the country a world of good.” She agreed without taking her eyes off the road.

 Allison’s grin widened. “I don’t think the White House could handle us.” Leaning her head and shoulders out of the open window, she hollered out to the cars and the people and anything else that was listening: “Hockeytown, here we come!” Offering up her own little hoot, Hayley turned her right signal on as the Escalade entered onto the exit ramp. After an expedient hop skip and a jump, they found themselves parked and ecstatic on the roof of the Cobo Center parking garage. Though it was a place their heels would kill them for later, the present was all the two could focus on.

 “So, not that I’m doubting our excellent plan, but,” Hayley began, heels clicking as they walked down the numerous steps to get to the people mover, “how exactly are we going to manage to sneak in?”

 Letting out a breath – walking down numerous flights of janky stairs in heels was not an easy feat – Allison gave her friend a look, “Have you not seen Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen? We’ll sneak in with a group. But we need to be the Ella and not the Lola. Lola was an idiot.” Lola also turned out to be a crazy psycho drug addict, but at least that was something they wouldn’t have to worry about. They were clean, good girls.

 “But I don’t think we can do that, exactly.” Allison shot her friend another look, this one a little nastier than the first. “I mean, hear me out! Isn’t the security here absolutely insane? Confessions was just a movie, this is real life. Shit doesn’t go down the same way in real life as it does in the movies.”

 “If things get too crazy you can just flash the guys and we’ll be sure to get in.”

Hayley had the decency to look offended and stopped on the step she was on, crossing her arms. “Excuse me?” She asked as if her friend had just told her to murder her mother in her sleep.

Turning and noticing her friend was not following behind her, Allison huffed and faced her, fingers pointing at her chest. “Yours are bigger than mine. They’d be more of a distraction.” Gazing in the direction of her fingers, the look on Hayley’s face showed that she agreed with what Allison was saying. “Exactly. But that’s only an emergency situation. Hopefully it won’t come down to that at all.”

“It better not.” She grumbled, pouting and still looking completely disgusted.

Rolling her eyes like a young teenager, Allison skipped two steps at a time and grabbed onto her friends arm, pulling her down the rest of the stairs. “Now would you hurry up? We won’t be able to pull this off if everyone’s already inside!”

“Yeah yeah yeah, I’m right behind you.” She grumbled, yet followed obediently behind her.

“Just think,” Allison spoke with a lit to her voice, hearing the obvious hesitation in Hayley’s voice, “in only a few short minutes we’re going to be face to face with some of the hottest bachelors in Detroit.” That definitely put pep in both of their steps. The people mover was crowded when they reached it, but the girls felt like they were on cloud nine all by themselves as it led them closer and closer to their destinies. Looking at each other as they stood in front of an incredibly creepy old geezer, they knew their night was far from over. It was just getting started.

And they were right.