9 - Cured

Third Person POV

Just off to the right of a generally unused road sheltered by the surrounding forest, sits a school. It isn't a traditional school, not its physical appearance nor its students. 'A school for gifted youngsters' it claims to be, and down the lane to the front door there is a hint of excitement hanging in the air.

Through the doors and chaos breaks loose; children of all ages appearing, disappearing, flying, bolting all with smiles on their faces. The halls are filled with the voices of hundreds, bustling about their business.

In a sitting room off to the right on a dark coloured sofa sits a girl with red hair, a pink blush on her cheeks as she glances to the boy next to her who wears glasses with lenses that match her hair and a large smile on his face.

They glance up as a frisbee flies directly past the doorway, followed by a blur of silver. The frisbee suddenly stops, a hand forming around its plastic surface as the guy who catches it moves a strand of silver hair out of his face and smiles back down the hall to another boy. "Nice throw Jethro, but you're going to have to try a whole lot better than that." Shouts the silver haired boy. The other boy smiles, shouting back "Evelyn was right about you being an ass."

They both chuckle and run up the nearest staircase and past the library. In the library sits a woman with icy blond hair, the small wrinkles lining her skin testament to the deep worry that plagues her eyes. Another woman with dark skin appears, her hair white much beyond her age. She places a comforting hand on the other lady's shoulder. A small breeze drifts through a high window, carrying with it pink petals that then drift past the woman's face, her worry dissolving for a moment to allow a smile. "Don't worry Clarisse," the white haired woman says to the other as she weaves the breeze on her finger tips, "we will find him, and bring him home."

The breeze carries a stray petal out of the library and down another staircase passing a girl with black pigtails and a bright yellow jacket who's creating pulses of electricity within her hands that are mesmerising a group of watchful children.

The petal drifts down the hallway coming to rest at the doorway of an office where a man in a wheelchair is speaking hushed words to another with dark spiked hair. Their heads both turn when an explosion is heard in a few rooms down.

A door bursts open, a man tumbling out along with an explosion of dust and broken test tubes. He lifts his face from the ground, a shocked expression present as his cracked glasses hang awkwardly from one ear. "Hi Hank," says a student who's passing at that moment to the man on the ground. He shoots them a goofy grin from the ground as they turn, entering the kitchen.

In the kitchen a boy with blue skin and a fidgeting tail is flipping some pancakes as he makes eager conversation with four others who are lined up on stools at the counter. He looks happy, like he hasn't been in a while, and once every minute he glances out the kitchen window to the lush green lawn outside.

Though it's not the lawn he's looking at. A girl sits on the grass, wearing a long white dress with bare feet. Her hair is long and coloured icy blond, except for a thin streak of blue running from her part to the hair's end. She looks relaxed, and peaceful, but her eyes aren't shut like most others would be. Instead they are darting around her surroundings as if attempting to take in every single detail of the world around her. Her dark eyes are pooled with an equal amount of happiness and sadness. She glides her hands over the grass as if attempting to sense something, but settles them at her side after not too long.

Her eyes soon land on a white flower that had been sitting beside her, in a spot where her peripheral vision had not explored. She looks at it thoughtfully for a moment. She cautiously lifts her hand and moves her fingers towards one of its white petals.

When her finger makes contact her body freezes and her eyes snap shut. She stays like that, motionless for several seconds before her eyes reopen and she snatches her hand away.

She looks shocked, as if she's seen something that nobody else can.

"Evelyn. What is it?" asks the blue boy from before, he is walking towards her holding a plate filled with pancakes and cream.

She turns towards him, her shocked expression now one of excitement and hope.

"I saw it as a seed... And I felt what its feeling..." She whispered to herself deep in thought. Her expression suddenly turned to realisation. "Kurt," she said, with a smile quickly forming on her face. "I'm not cured!"

Ze End