Chapter 16- Touching Home Plate

Cody

Since I technically was in the past, I decided to keep my head low. I might not look exactly like my younger self, but if I did run into him, people are going to put two and two together and I'll have some unwanted attention on my hands.

Moving through the city, the palace was getting closer by the second. I could hear my own heartbeat, as if the Nexus is calling to me, telling me things I couldn't make out. It only got louder the more I approached it.

How am I supposed to do this? Just waltz up there in front of all the guards and hope something happens? What if I get arrested? What if- then my heart stopped at the thought. What if Poseidon was there? What am I supposed to say? To do? What is he anymore? A King? A father? An enemy? A Villain or Hero? So many questions, but none of them were answered, nor would they be easily.

I stood, frozen in the middle of the white road and trying to figure out what to do. I wasn't supposed to be here, so what if I was caught? I haven't done a stealth mission in a while, and never have I ever done it to Atlantis. Then again, I've never really had this happen to me so I guess this is another thing to check off the bucket list. 

I really thought I'd at least go to Disney Land before breaking into Atlanits.

Shaking my head, I retreated to the side of the path, walking much slower and allowing other Atlanteans to pass through without having to going around me. When passing by a bench, two people started to whisper to each other.

"So did you hear? The palace is under lock down right now! They're trying to get the military here as fast as possible! Poseidon too! I heard he was visiting the outskirts for something so he doesn't even know yet!"

I perked up. Lockdown? Slowing the pace, I listened in as discreetly as possible.

"Really? Why? Robber? Some crazed attacker?"

The first one shook their head. "No, no. Much more interesting." They glanced around, but didn't seem to care if I was there. They eyes instead locked onto a guard hastily moving past. As soon as they did, they spoke again. "You see, it's... Code Purple."

The second one gasped in shock. "Shut up! No way! Code PURPLE? As in-"

"Yep! They spotted one. I even saw them myself! So scary!"

Unable to resist any longer, I faced the pair. The first sat up, seeing me immediately. He elbowed the other, nodding towards me and she mirrored him. "Oh, hello!" The girl said sheepishly. She gave me a little smile.

"Can we help you?" The guy's eyes narrowed a bit, searching me for some sort of sign. I didn't wait around to figure out what it was.

"Sorry to interrupt but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. What's Code Purple?"

Both of their eyes widened. "You're-... You're kidding right?" I gave them a blank stare. "You haven't heard of Code Purple? Have you been living under a rock or something? Or- oh! You must've just moved in."

I laughed nervously. "Yep! Fresh in the neighborhood! Haven't really been around much because moving in takes all of my time up. Can't wait to explore Atlantis! There's so much here that I haven't seen. Does Atlantis have like a tourist attractions I can see? Never mind, forget that, just tell me: What's Code Purple?"

The pair exchanged glances, having a silent conversation before the female beckoned me closer. I leaned in.

"Okay, Code Purple is a sensitive topic so normally, people don't bring it up often. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're new, so listen up because no one else wants to say anything." I nodded, giving them the green light.