Chapter Four

Mind Of Your Own:

 "Excuse me, Kassy? Speak for yourself! I'm sure Kyle and Ally agree with me when I say that since we don't know these people, taking this job or whatever it is would be totally irresponsible," complained Alexander.

Ally and Kyle glanced at each other, then hastily looked away to keep from laughing. Kassy had led the two most responsible kids of them all into mischief on more than one occasion.

"Well, I'm game," Mason put in his vote.

"Me too, of course. And anyway, knowing Kassy, I can't say no if I wanted to." Mercy stood firm in her decision, even when Alexander's look of pure shock and annoyance hit her. She smiled inwardly. Having been a part of the Kassy-Kyle-Ally team a few times, she knew what the two top students would choose, horrifying Alexander.

Alexander looked around for support. "Ally? Kyle?"

"Alexander, what's life without some recklessness?" asked Ally. "I'm in."

"Kyle?" pleaded Alexander.

"IN!"

"Well, in that case, I don't want to be left behind," sighed Alexander, "In."

"So, what is this super important task we just agreed to with absolutely no information?" asked Kassy with a slight giggle.

Hannah was obviously the spokesperson, because she was talking again. "Well, Madam Adeline, of the Connecticut Spy Squad trained us when we were in middle school, but she needs another Middle School Spy Squad."

"I'm gonna be a SPY?!" Kassy's yell was so loud, even her own brother plugged his ears.

"SHHH! We don't want the wrong ears to hear!" cautioned Mayia.

"How do you know we aren't the wrong ears?" quizzed Mercy thoughtfully.

"I can just tell," replied Mayia.

"How?" asked Kassy relentlessly.

"Kass, she said she just knows!" barked Kyle.

"I am a spy too, you know, Kassy. So-"

"You've been spying on us."

"Well, to put it bluntly, yes. Yes, we have," agreed Hannah.

"Well, then, you're a great role model, aren't you?" smiled Kassy.

"No, I suppose not," sighed Hannah.

"She's being entirely serious, Hannah. Spy stuff is her life!" cried Mercy, "She's been spying on us all since she was three. And she's really good, we never catch her unless we're on her team. Then we end up falling out of a tree or something equally stupid," grinned Kyle.

Everyone laughed, and Kassy smirked triumphantly. "There, you admit it, I'm better than you!"

"I never said that!"

"Anyway, what's our first mission?" asked Mason excitedly.

"Get some rest, go to that idiotic school, and meet us at the old Shell River after the school's out. Please don't skip school, Kassy and Mason," interpreted Nathan. "No, I can't read minds, Kassy. I just somehow figured out that you are the two crazies here."

"Hmph," growled Mason.

"We'll see you at the river. By that weird rock formation. Got it?" asked Kadyr.

"GOT IT!" chorused all the kids perfectly in sync.

"Creepy," muttered Jonah, before the spies climbed onto the roof, and ziplined down, as ziplines shot from those dark backpacks they'd been carrying.

"WHEN DO WE GET THOSE?" shouted Kassy as they disappeared through the trees.

Kyle snorted.