My First Defeat ~not edited~

Comenzar desde el principio

I lost track of time. It was getting harder and harder to hold my broom straight. The sky was getting darker, as though night had decided to come early. Twice I nearly hit another player, without knowing whether it was a teammate or opponent; everyone was now so wet, and the rain so thick, I could hardly tell them apart…

With the first flash of lightning came the sound of Madam Hooch's whistle; I could just see the outline of Wood through the thick rain, gesturing me to the ground. The whole team splashed down into the mud.

"I called for time-out!" Wood roared at his team. "Come on, under here —"

They huddled at the edge of the field under a large umbrella; Harry took off his glasses and wiped them hurriedly on his robes.

"What's the score?" I asked worriedly

"We're fifty points up," said Wood, "but unless we get the Snitch soon, we'll be playing into the night."

"I'm sorry, Oliver," I apoligiazed, feeling a stab of guilt. "I can't see a thing, my bangs keep slapping water in my face."

To prove my point I chook my head and my dark red bangs slapped my face with heavy water.

"I've got no chance with these on," Harry added exasperatedly, waving his glasses.

At that very moment, Hermione appeared at his shoulder; she was holding her cloak over her head and was, inexplicably, beaming.

"I've had an idea, Harry! Give me your glasses, quick!"

He handed them to her, and as the team watched in amazement, Hermione tapped them with her wand and said, "Impervius!"

"There!" she said, handing them back to Harry. "They'll repel water!"

Wood looked as though he could have kissed her.

"Oh!" I beamed at Hermione. "I forgot that spell, do it to my hair!"

She tapped my bangs and said the same spell and my hair was dry and poofy. "You should put it in a pony tail."

I borrowed a hair tie from Alicia and tied it up.

"Brilliant!" he called hoarsely after Hermione as she disappeared into the crowd. "Okay, team, let's go for it!"

Hermione's spell had done the trick. I was still numb with cold, still wetter than I'd ever been in my life, but I could see. Full of fresh determination, I urged my broom through the turbulent air, staring in every direction for the Snitch, avoiding a Bludger, ducking beneath Diggory, who was streaking in the opposite direction…

There was another clap of thunder, followed immediately by forked lightning. This was getting more and more dangerous. I needed to get the Snitch quickly —

I turned, intending to head back toward the middle of the field, but at that moment, another flash of lightning illuminated the stands, and I saw something that distracted me completely, the silhouette of an enormous shaggy black dog, clearly imprinted against the sky, motionless in the topmost, empty row of seats. Snuffles had come to watch me.

"Nixie!" came Wood's anguished yell from the Gryffindor goal posts. "Nixie, behind you!"

I looked wildly around. Cedric Diggory was pelting up the field, and a tiny speck of gold was shimmering in the rain-filled air between us…

With a jolt of panic, I threw myself flat to the broom handle and zoomed toward the Snitch.

"Come on!" I growled at my Nimbus as the rain whipped my face. "Faster!"