Masa was the complete opposite. He did not seem to mind at all. He was as uncaring and disinterested as ever. He even joked that he would remain at the Stream Temple for all time, watching as class after class graduated ahead of him. As if expecting such behavior, the incessant scolding he received by the other teachers grew. They said he lacked passion, that even though he had the greatest potential of anyone, he was disrespecting his father and his family with his blatant insolence.

I remember being bold enough to taunt him once.

“I’m going to prove that this poor village boy is better than you,“ I said. “Because I’ll be going on to the River Temple before you, and you can stay behind and wallow with the other beginner students.“

He didn’t bother to acknowledge the insult. Instead, he simply made an annoyed grunting sound and shoved me aside as he walked past.

Ironically, it was during a certain evening that Masa's moment had finally arrived. After the last class of the day, he disappeared. No one knew where he went. Master Ichiro was especially frustrated when he was absent during dinner. But that night, while I slept, Masa stormed into our room, slapping my head senselessly. He muffled my cries by pressing his palm against my mouth.

"Shut up and stop squirming," Masa said harshly.

He waited until I was absolutely still, then he released his hand and pointed directly at his eyes.

"Are they yellow?" He asked.

I remained silent.

"Are they yellow?" He blurted much more loudly.

I squinted up at him, amidst the pale light that shone through the open door from the hallway.

"Yes-yes they are." I finally replied.

"See Ai, I told you they've changed," Masa said over his shoulder.

Hearing her name, I looked to the frail figure standing in the doorway. The small, hall lanterns lit her motionless, seemingly solemn gaze.

"You stay there," Masa commanded as he got up and rummaged through the closet. "After I get my things Ai, we're leaving. You and I aren’t going to be slaves to our father anymore."

"Masa, we shouldn‘t be doing this," Ai said in a hushed voice. "If father finds out, he’ll most certainly come after us."

"If father finds out that my eyes have turned, it’ll be enough of a reason for him to keep us here for the rest our lives. I’ve had enough of him. We’re going as far away from him as can."

Masa noticed me standing and pointed a stern finger.

"I told you to stay put," he said, shoving me back down.

He reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a small brass key, throwing it down on the floor next to me.

"That's the key to a drawer in the tea hall. Look for the drawer numbered two five eight. It's the only one that's locked. Inside you’ll find the thing you need to make father's favorite tea. We‘re even now, so keep your mouth shut and don't tell anyone that you saw me or Ai, you understand?"

Before I could reply, he gave me another hard shove and turned his back, taking his sister by the hand. I could scarcely believe what had happened. Everything came to pass so quickly. As the sounds of their shuffling feet died away, I sat alone in the dark room lost, feeling almost as if I’d been abandoned.

The bully is gone, I kept telling myself, but somehow, it didn’t it didn‘t feel like it was worth being happy about. Ai, the blind, mysterious girl that I’d barely begun to know, the only one besides Han and Kidou whom I’d felt the slightest bit of comfort around, was gone as well.

The next morning, I remained silent about the things that had happened that night. I pretended that nothing had changed. As usual, Kassashimei woke me in her usual way by yanking my collar and dragging me across the room until I forced her to stop. I engaged in morning training just like I had every day before and listened reluctantly to Kass's constant naggings.

I had not realized it, but I had a grim look on my face that caused Etsu some concern.

“Are you alright?“ Etsu asked.

“I wouldn’t worry about him,“ Kassashimei said. “Lilac Eyes is just mulling over the fact that he’s cursed to spend the rest of his life toting sky boats while his classmates run airships for the Emperor.“

This time, I didn‘t have the will to protest her insult. Instead, I went on with the training in a trance-like daze, ignoring both Etsu's question and Kass's harsh remarks.

Afterwards, I went on to the River Temple's Tea Hall with a certain amount of ambition and purpose that I had not felt before. I found the drawer marked with the number, two five eight sitting in a lonely dusty corner on the far end amongst the rows of shelves, and just as Masa had informed me, there was a faded bronze lock across its face. I used the key and unlocked the drawer.

Inside was a small, rolled-up piece of paper. Upon reading it, I found it to be some sort of complex recipe, one which listed twenty ingredients to be combined in precisely measured amounts. I found myself darting around the vast room like a stray cat, bounding from one drawer to another, measuring just the right amount of ground flower petals, roots, stems, powders and other such things. I watched the concoction brew with such earnest, that, for a moment, I thought that even time itself was mocking me by forcing me to wait.

As soon as I finished, Paya lead me to Master Lu, who was leaning over some sort of religious scroll, sprawled across a stone table in one of the many shrines that littered the grounds. Judging by how intent he was with his studies, I guessed that he hadn’t realized yet that both his son and his daughter had run off. Without bothering to look up, he waved me towards him with an impatient hand. I approached slowly and placed the tray on a smaller table next to him, then poured his cup.

Ceremonial bells rung in the distance, heralding the sun as it peered over the horizon. Outside, was heard the scattered footsteps of temple servants moving in droves to sweep the courtyards and prepare the grounds for the day‘s proceedings. Though I’d gotten used to these sounds, it was during this particular morning that they seemed to add to the tense feeling welling up inside me as I waited patiently next to Master Lu.

"I am going to ask you a question," He said, his eyes still glued to the scroll. "And if I sense you lying to me, I will have you punished. Have you stolen anything from me?"

"No Master, I have not."

He rolled up the scroll and took the tea cup, breathing in its aroma.

"Liar!" He said, throwing the cup at my face.

An agonized squeal left my lips as I felt the searing liquid splatter against my cheeks, then fell to my knees, blinded, whimpering and hurriedly wiping my sleeve against my face.

"Master Lu please," Paya said as I heard her rush across the room to his side.

He ignored her, swiping at the tray and letting its contents crash to the ground. He yanked at my shirt near my shoulder and pulled me to my feet.

"You think I'm an idiot don't you? You didn't think I wouldn’t notice? This is Oomari Tea! Somehow, you found out I was deathly allergic to it, so you plotted to end me." He searched my pockets and found the key. Furious, he threw me to the ground. "Who helped you find the recipe? Who helped you steal this key?"