Chapter Thirty Three pt 2

Start from the beginning

Why was he so distant and quiet? Did he figure it out?

My heart started racing at that idea.

How did he know? Well, I guess there wasn't many explanations on why someone would wear a sweater in 25 degree weather.

I tried to remain calm and not have a panic attack.

He knew.

He actually knew.

Okay, think positively,. Um...... at least I didn't have to worry about telling him anymore. I should feel relieved but I couldn't. Sure, he seemed calm now but what about later on?

"Eric?"

"Mm?"

"I-" my throat tightened. I never had a hard time apologizing before.

"S-" I tried again but the words won't come out. I looked at Eric and he was just patiently waiting. Did he know what I was going to say?

"I'm so sorry." I finally managed to say, unable to look at him.

He didn't respond and I didn't blame him. He was definitely angry at me.

A couple of minutes later, he stopped the car. Why did he park at the side of the road?"

He then took of his seat belt and stepped out of the car. Where was he going?

He closed the door behind him and leaned against it. I stared at his back wondering what he was thinking. Was he trying to stay calm and not yell at me?

Since the windows were down, I could hear everything.

He let out a huge sigh and the I saw him slide to the ground.

I could not see him anymore but i could still hear him.

"Shit, " I heard him curse quietly. He took a couple more breaths and then he started sniffling.

Since the car was still on, I leaned across the drivers and rolled up all the windows.

My mind was blank and I couldn't do anything else but just sit here. I felt completely numb when I should've felt awful. Eric was upset because of me so why didnt I feel anything

I stared off into space for a while and nearly jumped out of my skin when he came back.

He put on his seat belt and drove again without another word.

When we arrived at sadies house, I quietly made a few small sandwiches while he cut the watermelon. I coukd practically feel myself sweat again.

"You can take off your sweater if you want. I wont look. I promise. "

For a second, I thought he meant he wouldn't look as I took it off, but then I realized thst he meant he wouldn't look at my cut up arms.

"Okay, " I said quietly as I took it Off. However I hung it over my arms just im case he saw by accident.

When I was done with the sandwiches, I asked if I could help him but he said I could take a seat.

I sat on the table, my back facing Eric.

Was it going to be like this at the picnic as well?

I wanted to apologize again for making him upset but I knew that wouldnt help. I didn't know what to do.

"Do you want to come over for dinner?" I blurted out. I immediately regretted saying that.

Now probably wasnt a good time to ask. He wouldn't-"

"Sure. When?"

I flinched in surprise.

"Really?"

"Yeah, of course. So when?"

"Whenever. My grandpa just wants to meet you, that's all."

"Okay."

And then the conversation died down again. He was still going even though he was upset...

"Do you want a piece of watermelon?" He asked a few minutes later.

"Sure." I said immediately, processing the question right after I answered.

It was quiet for a moment and then I turned around In my chair as he handed me a piece.

"Thank-"

I stopped when I realized that the watermelon piece was in a shape of a heart.

As a lump formed in my throat, he kissed my forehead. He didn't say another word and this time, I didnt mind the silence. I didnt want to speak anymore so he wouldnt hear how choked up i was.