1

“Samantha, honey, it’s time to wake up.” I pretended not to hear my mom as I continued to lie in my bed.

“Honey, you have all summer to laze around, it’s the last day of school. Come on, get up.” I groaned and snuggled down further into my covers.

“Alright Mama G, we tried it your way. It’s my turn.” a voice whispered beside me my mom.

My body went on high alert as I discreetly sniffed the air and identified the other person as my best friend. Knowing Bethany I knew I had to act fast. Within three seconds I rolled over onto the floor, with the thick blanket positioned to cushion my fall. I heard a whoosh over my head, and peeked out from under the comforters to see my best friend rubbing her rear end, scowling at me. I grinned victoriously, while she stuck her tongue out at me.

“Come on, Beth, my reflexes are superior to yours.” I taunted.

She scowled. “Whatever. Get in the shower, you’re wasting our birthday away!” A rush of dread flooded my body as I remembered today. What if I find my mate? What if I don’t find my mate? What if I shift in the middle of class? Before I continue listing all the possible horrible things that could happen today, I felt a hand on my shoulder snapping me out of my thoughts.

“You know, it’s my birthday, too and Conner’s, so you’re not going to go through this alone. We’ll be with you every step of the way, just let nature take it’s course.” I smiled at my best friend, she truly was amazing.

“Pick my outfit for me?”

“What do you think I’m here for. I picked Conner’s outfit for him last night, knowing you would need my full attention this morning. Now, up and into the bathroom you go, while I raid your closet.”

I grimaced. When Bethany said raid, she literally meant raid. “Take it easy please. I already have to break every bone in my body once today, please don’t give my mom any reason to make me go through it again.” I begged while padding across the floor into the bathroom.

*

I usually take around an hour to shower, because I spend majority of my time daydreaming while losing myself in the soothing hot water, but this time my time was rudely cut in half by my best friend’s incessant yelling and threats of death by various mutilations.

I walked out of the bathroom, donning my towel and was pleasantly surprised my room was only mildly messy. Just a few clothes strewn across the place that could be easily picked up in a few seconds.

“I already knew what I was looking for.” Bethany answered my unasked question, as I walked over to my drawers. “And you might want to wear black underwear and bra. We’re wearing white today.” She continued, looking pointedly at the hot pink bra in my hand.  

She turned around so I could put on my undergarments, before continuing. “Anyways, today the three of us are vulnerable to meeting our mates, so we have to look our absolute best.”

I rolled my eyes and suppressed a groan, knowing that Bethany liked to go overboard with things. I’ll probably end up looking like I was attending my wedding by the time she was done with me.

“I decided to go for something simple, yet elegant.” I sighed a breath of relief. “White enhances that theme, while highlighting our purity and innocence. I thought that this particular theme was fitting for our eighteenth year where we cross into adulthood.”

I let out a low whistle. “Wow, Beth, somebody really did her research.”

She turned around with a beaming smile. “We finally get to meet our mates. I really wanna knock ‘em dead. Today we are totally going to the mall and making detours down every hallway in school. We are going to find him today! Aren’t you excited?!” She beamed at me.

Her smile was infectious and I find myself smiling back at her. I looked down at her outfit which consisted of a white sundress that came down to her knees, with a brown belt cinching her waist, paired off with a pair of peep-toe gold wedges. She accessorized with a simple gold charm bracelet and a with a matching locket necklace. Her makeup was simple, except for her very pink lips. She looked so beautiful, it made me excited for my outfit.

“Well, I’m ready to get beautified.”

Bethany screeched and pounced on me.

She blew out my red hair and loosely curled it in ringlets down my back, while leaving my sidebang straight. My makeup was also on the natural side, including my glossed lips. Beth picked out a sheer white high-low skirt, with a loose off shoulder shirt that was tucked into the skirt. She also picked out a gold belt, that matched perfectly with my gold bangles and gladiator sandals. Not to sound conceited, but I looked amazing!

“I love it.” I cheered, engulfing my best friend into a bone crushing hug.

“Too. Strong.” Bethany gasped out and I immediately pulled away.

“Sorry.” I apologized sheepishly. Sometimes I get a little carried away.

“It’s okay.” She brushed it off. “Just remember not all of us have alpha blood.”

She smirked at me and I knew everything was okay.

“Race you to the car!”  she announced before she bolted out the door.

I grabbed my bag and was quick to follow, beating her to her car.

“Alpha blood makes you a cheater.” She muttered

I stuck my tongue out at her. “Not if you get a headstart.”

My front door opened and my dad stepped out onto the porch.

“I know you weren’t going to leave without telling your old man goodbye.”

I smiled and made my way over to my dad, hugging him.

“Happy Birthday, sweetie. Have a good day at school and remember mate or not, you will still lead this pack.” he winked at me.

“Right because who needs men.” My mom joked coming up behind him.

My dad pulled a face. “You do.” He leaned down to kiss my mom.

“Ugh, too much PDA, bye!” I ran back to Beth’s car.

“Happy Birthday, Bethany!” My dad called out, while Bethany honked her horn in reply.

Beth pulled out of the driveway and we were off to school with my dad’s words ringing in my head.

“Remember, mate or not, you will still lead this pack.”

Thanks, dad. No pressure.