Gotare pulled himself onto the wall, then bounded down beside the fallen man. He slipped the armor off of the man and pulled them onto himself. He picked up the sword and sliced it through the wind. SHING! Into the sheath it went. I dashed over and helped him pick up the man and we brought him over to the edge of the wall.

"Rest well, my foe." I whispered as I pushed him over the edge. The limp body fell silently and landed without as much as a thud. "Let's go." I said cocking my head.

Gotare took a breath and brought out his sword and put it to my back. I dropped my head as though in defeat. Gotare marched me over towards the watch tower.

"Hey! You! Guard!" a clear voice rang out in the silence. "What is it that you are doing? Go back to your post!"

We glanced up and saw the watchman peeking over the wall, towering over us.

Gotare raised his voice, letting arrogance slip into it. "This, thing, was trying to climb over the wall but I caught it. What should I do with it?"

The watchman growled. Then he disappeared behind the wall. I snuck a look at Gotare but he kept looking straight ahead, ignoring me completely. Suddenly a door opened out of nowhere and the watchman stuck his head out. His body soon followed, or should I say her body followed. It was a girl! A girl watchman! This was just too easy.

Gotare brought me over to her and without a sound I grabbed my dagger from my hip and jammed it under her arm. I felt the six-inch dagger rip through the soft flesh of her heart. I threw my hand over her mouth to muffle her cries, but they did not come forth for she was already dead. The girl fell to the ground in a silent bundle and I stripped her of her armor. Together, Gotare and I rolled the girl over the edge of the wall. I pushed the girl down into the waiting darkness below. Then I slipped on the armor and found it fit perfectly to the curves of my body.

Now, we were ready. I turned around towards the open door in the tower. Swaying in the gentle breeze, the door creaked slightly as it moved. Each creak cut through the silence and burned unto our ears as though it was alarm warning the inhabitants of our presence. We glanced around to find not a single being near.

Yet the presence of someone was close. I was getting nervous. I let my gaze stray upwards and I nearly jumped as I saw an eye peering at me from behind the door. I held my ground as the eye blinked slowly.

The eye was a curious thing. It floated above the ground, attached to nothingness. It glowed like a red fire yet it was dim. It was sharp like ice yet it was warm like a candle. But above all it's gaze cut through the darkness like the sun. It would not let it's compelling stare be taken off of us. It felt like it was searching our souls and looking through our minds. Finally the eye blinked once more and then loomed over us and disappeared into the waiting darkness behind us.

Gotare and I exchanged looks. What was that? Carefully we proceed forward towards the door, not knowing what to expect. We stepped into the tower behind the door and closed the door silently behind us. Suddenly, lines across the room started to glow. Lighting up the tower were tubes of light. They were everywhere! They spiraled up to the top of the tower, following the stairs. And they went down underneath the ground, lighting the ground up like fire. It seemed like the light was a reflection inside the tubes, yet the light came from no source. It was just there. It was amazing to see.

Steep stairs curved downwards toward the base of the tower. I nodded at Gotare and we slowly descended the stairs. At the bottom we found ourselves at the entrance of a hallway, leading to a dead end. We went through the hallway, our foot steps softly echoing down the long corridor. When we reached the distant end, I looked around trying to spot another way out. To my right and to my left were solid walls. In front of me was just another wall. I walked forward my arms out in front of me. When I reached the wall in front of me, I leaned forward to touch it.