Intro/Chapter 1 [x]

warning

1. this story is fictional, the characters are not accurate representations of the actors/musicians I've chosen to represent these fictional characters.
2. mature rating because this story does contain strong language, intense topics, death, sexual references&experiences, etc. Don't read if you can not handle these topics.
3. Thank you for reading, as always, enjoy, for I write for myself and others to enjoy escaping reality, if only for a time. xxC

mackenzie
*
*
*
My mother and I travel on foot, hand in hand as we walk towards the train station. I play absentmindedly with the small charm bracelet that dangles from my wrist.

When I'm uneasy I have a habit of fidgeting, something my mother always tried to correct. She used to say that it was a bad habit, a potential sign of weakness if I ever needed to hide something. Now she says nothing as I twirl the jewelry around my wrist.

My 18th birthday had passed three weeks ago, on the third of March. From that morning, something had changed for my mom. She stopped lecturing me on my distant behavior that I had taken up from eight years ago, the day Satan himself, King Zayn Malik, and his army of bloodsuckers changed the way life was for every human that had thrived for centuries before.

When we turn 18, the girls, living in the once lively and beautiful city of London are forced to load into a train like herded animals and be shipped off to be massacred. My mother hated my blatant point but there was no argument for her to make against it. She used to encourage me when I was younger to make friends, to try and live the most normal life I could, but I never chose too. There was no point in deluding myself with normalcy, I didn't have that luxury.

The only reason that the human race still exists is because of the lives spared in the months of January and November. Anyone born into those months are spared from the promise of impending death at the coming of adulthood. They go on to live semi-normal lives, the only condition being they reproduce. I guess for some women that is their own misfortune, forced against their will to have child after child for a set amount of time.

I know there are other rules, and ways, that the vampire species keeps the human race alive, things they don't tell us, but anyway I look at it, is all clear. We are disposable and meaningless to them. Human life is nothing but a means of food and survival to them.

"I love you" My mother says, her hands grasping mine. I realize we've reached the loading platform, and that means it's time to say goodbye. I clutch back onto my loving and gentle mother, wishing I could say something to ease her own pain. It may seem backwards, me comforting her, when I'm the one being sent to die, but i had always been different, more wise i suppose.

"I love you too mom" I want to say more, but I don't want to have a goodbye that makes us both cry. I want her last memory to be as good as it can, so when I'm gone its not the last image she has of me.

The sirens begin to sound off around us and I get loose of my mother's grip.

"Stay strong for Michael" I say, brushing my hand across her stomach "He needs you to be okay."

"Mackenzie"

"Promise mom, you'll be okay for my brother."

"I promise, of course."

"I have to go now" I whisper, swiftly giving my mom a kiss on the cheek and disappearing into the masses of young women. I see a train car pull into the platform closest to me, and without looking back, get onto the train to hell. The first open seat is what I plop down into.