Chapter 3

Matty POV

What is she doing? Setting herself up for pain and suffering again???

I said talk to the kid, not get his bloody fucking number. He's no good. She knows it. No one will stick around and she KNOWS it. I can't fight him this time. So I'll have to help her the only way I can. By getting that stupid fuck Frank out of her head and keeping it that way.

Beverly POV

" Wait don't you dare walk past me young lady. Late to school again I see?" My mother says tapping her long fake nails on the counter

"Bus," I say and continue walking

"Oh the bus again hmm it's always the bus. Always " she says sarcastically

I start to walk to my bedroom when I hear her yell my name.
I quickly shut the door and lock it.

" I swear Beverly if you don't quit your shit I'm sending you to live with your father" she says while click - clacking down the hallway to do God knows what.
I throw my book bag on the floor and kick off my shoes. I take out my phone and see I have no notifications besides one message.

Unknown: Hey it's Frank, are you still up for hanging out sometime? 😁

I reread it seven times before I hear a throat clearing from behind me. Matty is laying on my bed with both arms crossed behind his head and legs crossed at the ankle.

I don't like him.

"I thought you wanted me to talk to him" I quirk my eyebrow at him

He sits up and looks at me

Well that was a mistake that I made Love. He's gonna hurt you.
" if he was why did he text me?" I fight back
He stands up and walks over to me and rests his hand on my check. He's warm, like always.

You don't believe that Bev. Don't let him in your head. He will tell you things to convince you that I'm not real. Just lik-

" just like everyone else. Yeah I know Matty. I told you know one is gonna take you away no matter what." I huff plopping on my bed.
He sits next to me and reaches for my hand. I let him take it.

I just want you safe. He gives me a bad vibe. Just be careful Beverly, make sure you know what you want
He sighs laying back pulling me with him.
"I will Matty, I will." I toss my phone to the side without thinking twice about responding to Frankie.
Why take the risk of Matty being taken away?
I won't risk it is the answer. He's right, no one talked to me before today, especially to have meaningful conversation.
I start to sleep to the light feathery feeling of Mattys fingers dancing on my back.

When I wake up its eight at night. Dylan should be home. I feel for Matty but of course he isn't there. I roll out of bed and change out of my school clothes and into joggers and a sweatshirt.
I walk into the kitchen and my nose is filled with the stench of alcohol and cigarettes. Dylan looks and me up and down, clearly fucked up from the beer already. I see cans everywhere so I must be right.
"Well well well look who woke up" he chuckles

I grab a water from the fridge and turn to walk away. I hear him shuffling behind me and next thing I know I feel his strong, dirty hand grab my wrist.
He whips me around to face him. I can see the red rimming his eyes as he stares at me.

"You know, I always thought your mom was pretty." He breathes his musty air in my face.

I wiggle my self out of his hold but he grips my arms tighter.

"Let me go you bastard" I growl

" but I was wrong. You're far more beautiful Beverly" he takes a deep breath in.
Like he's smelling me.

"Matty.." I whimper when Dlyans face is two inches from mine.
I jerk my head to the right as his disgusting mouth connects with my cheek, instead of lips.
I open my eyes to see Matty staring in my direction. But not at me. At Dylan. He looks like he's about to rip him to pieces. Just when he's about to come save me I hear my mom walk through the front door.
Dylan shoves me away from him and goes back to his spot at the worn out coffee table.

" oh how nice your up, what's wrong with your arm?" She asks taking in the bright red mark on my arm.

I push my sleeves back down and grab my water mumbling nothing while speed walking back to my safe haven. As I exit the kitchen I hear Dylan mumble " That fucking bitch came in here acting crazy again Linda, I swear if she hurts you,"

" she won't " she responds
I slam my door locking it and plop on my bed fighting the tears threatening to spill.

Shh shh Love, you're safe now.

" no I'm not! I'll never be okay!" I yell

When I wipe my eyes he's gone. Again. Like fucking always.
He just up and leaves and when he comes he's always saying sorry. Fuck it!

I pick up my phone and go to Frank's unsaved number.
Without thinking twice I respond.

Me: I'm free tomorrow after school

Within seconds he responds

Frank: Sounds like a plan then. Sleep well Bev😊

If only he knew.