Chapter 26

Just before you hang up the call, you decide what you're going to do. "Ally," you say. "I'm gonna do it. Now all I need is an idea."

"Well," she replies. "You know who's going to be good at ideas? Mr Robot himself. He literally has great ideas all the time. I mean, if he didn't participate in this program, you wouldn't of met him! You wouldn't have had all these great experiences. Maybe things would be different... Or maybe they'd be the same, just without Hiro in it."

"Ally." You say suddenly. "Should I tell him?" She knew what you meant - do I tell Hiro I'm crushing on him? "Am I coming on too strong? I mean, I've barely known him a week, and... I don't want to rush him. I don't want it to feel forced. You know?"

"Tell him. If it feels right, tell him. If it's right, it'll work. If not, you'll get rejected, sure. If you and him are meant to be friends, it'll fix. If you tell him, the things if just mentioned could happened. If you don't, you'll spend the rest of your relationship wishing you did. Take a risk, (Y/N). Step out of your comfort zone, because most of the time, they pay off. Sometimes in double."

"Okay, okay, thanks Ally. I didn't need the monologue. But I think I'll do it. I'll take the risk. I just... What if I ruin it? I know that if I ruin it, it probably means he wasn't meant to be in my life at all, but still..."

"Just do it, hun. Everything will work out."

"If you say so..." And you ended the call.

---

"Well, funny seeing you again," you grinned at the shaggy haired boy who was sitting in the cafe, sipping on a milkshake. He grinned back, and gestured to the chair across from him. You sat down. "So, what? Are we brainstorming down here or do we have other plans?" Hiro shook his head, and gestured at the piece of paper lain down in front of him.

"I think I've got some ideas, but I need to see if they'll click with you first. So, we're gonna do 20 Questions, but they'll be only from me and project related."

"So not 20 Questions at all?"

"No, not really."

"Okay, shoot."

"Well, what's your favourite thing to do?"

"Well, I like exploring, whether it be online or physically going there. Looking at new things, feeling how they feel, the view, the colours. Or imagining a place in a book, getting involved in their universe. Building a Pinterest board dedicated to a certain place, imagining what it'd actually be like to be there. That sorta thing."

Hiro got out a pencil and started putting scores through different words and phrases. He crossed off about four, and then looked back up. "How do you want this to benefit society? What audience are you aiming for?"

"Well, I want to make something that will benefit people from all walks of life." More lines. "And people of all ages. It's gotta be convenient, like... you could carry or wear it, and nobody would notice. It hasn't got a particularly specific purpose, just for everyday things."

"Wear..." Hiro murmured. "Got it. Okay, ease of use?"

"Super easy."

"Okay. Well, I've got two options left, from my list. And you might not like either of them. But you wanna hear?"

"Sure. I mean, what's the worst you could say?"

"First option - remote control locks. Locks that can be activated from a range of your choosing, no keys necessary - like the clicker on your car keys. Good after a long day, or if you're out and have to let someone in, parents, friends, landlords, etcetera. Second option - air boots. Boots that propel you further or farther, so that you can jump higher or cover more ground while walking. To run faster or vault that fence with so much less effort.

"Personally, I like the second option." Hiro smiled at you again. "So what do you think?"

Air boots? The idea had never even crossed your thoughts. But when Hiro had brought it up, it was like a lightbulb had been switched on in your brain. You could see them now, feel their soft material in your fingers, the joy in people's faces as they used them for the first time, the feeling you had when you used them for the first time. And Hiro, adorable, brilliant Hiro, had saved your butt again. Not just saved it, given you a brilliant idea.

"You're actually the best," you leant over the table and hugged him. "I love you so much." And then the words had left your mouth. You could feel the panic swelling. You love him? You've barely known him a week! And now he's gonna think it's platonically, and oh god, (Y/N), you've really done it this time, haven't you? He's been brilliant, and you just flopped.

You hastily sat back in your seat, waiting for the shocked response. Instead, you saw Hiro smiling at you. "Seriously?" He said. "You mean it?" You sat there, motionless, for a minute, before nodding slowly. You didn't expect the tables to turn as they just had. "But- you're so brilliant, and I'm just... me. Girls don't normally like me."

The words came tumbling out of your mouth. "How do they not like you? You're smart, and talented. You're thoughtful, and you're handsome, and... how?"

"Coz they're not you," he said, his face fallen serious. "And if they're not you, then what's the point anyway?"

And then your heart melted.