Chapter Thirteen--So Romantic (part one)

Start from the beginning

"See what I have to put up with?" Elena said throwing her hands into the air. "How soon can you take him off our hands? Maybe you can teach him some manners."

I loved how Elena was so willing to pull her thick-headed brother in his place.

"Not likely," I said.

"What?" Kellan held a hand over his heart. "Is that you'll not likely take me off my family's hands or that you can teach me some manners?"

"The manner thing is definitely up for debate." I pulled the collar of my shirt down enough to exposed his ring.

Elena's eyes went wide when she saw it and immediately looked at her brother.

"As for your knotted ring, unless there's some way of erasing it that I don't know about, I have a feeling I might be stuck with you."

Elena gasped. "Kellan!" she said, swatting him. "You never told me you exchanged a knotted ring. But what about the Fire—"

Kellan's eyes went an icy bright. When she saw them glow, she pursed her lips and smoothed the skirts of her dress. "Sorry, sometimes I forget myself."

"It's all right." I chuckled, taking her hair tie from Kellan. "You're not the only one wondering that," I said, looking over at Rygar then back to her. "Here." I passed her the ribbon.

"Rygar, Nebula!" Kellan said like he just realized they were in the room. He slapped Rygar on his shoulder like an old friend and shook Nebula's hand.

"You took my advice," Nebula said, giving him a warm smile.

"And risk tempting fate if I didn't?" He grabbed a dress shirt from the back of a chair and started to button it over his white t-shirt. "I know some people question the abilities of Seers, but I'm not one of them."

"Good to know. Then you won't mind if we join to at tonight's banquet."

"Nebula—" I whispered, feeling embarrassed that she'd just invited us to Kellan's function.

"When you're as old as I am, there's no point waiting around for invitations, especially when you already know the answers." She was so freaky weird that she made my forgotten understanding of Acklemarian rules look normal.

Kellan chuckled making his eyes sparkle as he laughed. "Nebula, you're always welcome in court. I'm sure Elena can help you and Wren find something suitable to wear."

"Rygar, how about a game of Calept. I think I'm a game up on you from the last time we played at the Guild. With any luck, I can add another win to the score before the ladies join us." He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed the top of it.

Rygar cracked his fingers and dusted his hands off like he was getting warmed up to give Kellan a butt kicking. "No offense, but that's not going to happen."

"That's what you think."

Elena linked her arm through mine and squealed. "We're going to be sisters," she whispered with excitement. "I always hoped Kellan would get up enough courage and ask you. Sure took him long enough."

"Yes, it did," Nebula said, rolling her eyes so only Elena and I could see. "Men never do things the easy way, do they?"

Elena giggled and pushed the heavy wooden door open. The stone hallway beyond the threshold glowed with the warmth of torchlights ready to light our way toward where ever Elena was leading us.

***

With a small army of helpers, my transformation from dusty camper to runway girl seemed to take mere minutes. I stared at my toes inside silver shoes that sparkled when I walked. My floor length dress lifted just enough in the front so I could walk without tripping and kill myself. Which I was sure Elena's four-inch heels would accomplish if I had to walk very far in them.