Chapter Eleven (Part Three) --Taking our Welts

Hi Everyone! I'm back after a crazy few days in Toronto. It was SO much fun at the Wattpad 10 year party. I even met Ivan and Allen (founders of Wattpad) while I was there. I just found some time to write today. Hope you enjoy the latest piece.  HUGS all! :)

Astra leaned forward placing her pen square in the middle of a stack of cream-colored parchment. As she eyed the Grimoire, I hugged it closer to my chest.

She held out her hand. "The book please."

"No." I shook my head and clasped my hands over the edges of my family's legacy. "It's not yours."

Astra's eyes flashed an intense blue and a stone on her necklace lit. "You might not remember, but no one is permitted to remove a volume from—"

"I don't care what's allowed. You're not getting this book," I said with more determination than I had about anything else in my life.

"She's telling the truth," Vega said, from behind me. "The book belongs to her family."

Ignoring Vega's outburst, Astra got up from the desk and brushed past Josie. A jade green stone pulsed on her necklace as she stood in front of me. "This is not up for debate. Guild books stay in the tower."

I stared into her stormy eyes ready for battle. "Then it's a good thing it's not a Guild book."

Astra grabbed the top of the grimoire. The lights flickered, and a wind whipped the pages on Astra's desk around the room. Glass exploded from a window next to the door, followed by the one beside it bursting into an array of tiny transparent pieces. She yanked her hand back, releasing her claim. The room went deafening quiet. Her mouth hung open as she took in the destruction of her beloved library.

"What's the title of the book?" Astra asked, her voice a note above a whisper.

I watched her sit on the edge of her desk. A page drifted landing at her feet. "I tried to tell you..."

"The name, Wren."

I bit my lip and turned the book around so she could see the title. "Grimoire de les Delacroix," I answered.

She nodded and looked around the room with an absent vacant expression. "Your mother searched high and low for it after your father's disappearance. Nothing. Then you're here for a day..."

"Well, the note my dad left helped."

"Yes, I suppose it would. That still doesn't excuse the three of you infiltrating the library."

"They were only trying to help me..."

Astra held up a hand, stood up and walked around to the other side of her desk. Josie pulled out the chair and brushed the seat off.

"You're right, they helped, then it's only fair they get an equal share in the punishment."

"That's not what I meant."