32

"Do you ever think about what your life would be life had you not been turned?" I asked my dear friend as we looked up at the ceiling, lost in their own thoughts.

It'd been a little bit since I'd woken up from a shitty sleep, and since I forbade Eli from calling his little brother who seemed to enjoy randomly kissing people, he did the best he could to calm me down. He held me, played with my hair, made me talk about my dream (which wasn't even entertaining, FYI. It was just old me doing some spell and getting excited over it. How lame.)

And after a long time of this, I'd managed to calm down enough to function properly. But I was still tired and exhausted (what even was the point of that nap?) so we opted just to stare at the ceiling.

"Well," Elijah began with a sigh, "I probably would have married Tatia."

"Who?"

"You know the Petrova Doppelgängers?"

"Yeah, why?"

"She was one of those."

"Damn."

"'Damn', indeed."

"What else do you think would have happened?"

"Well, there really wasn't much to do back then, you see. Times have changed. So, if I was back in 10 AD as a human and a whole life of that ahead of me, I would have married Tatia, had a big family — at least seven kids — and watch them all grow while I did something normal. I'd always envisioned myself as a blacksmith. Yeah. I always enjoyed playing with swords."

I smiled at my best friend, turning to look at him a bit.

"That sounds nice," I agreed. "Although seven is a lot to handle."

"If my parents could manage, so can I."

"Wait, what?" I asked, looking at him in curiosity. "I thought it was only you and Klaus."

Elijah laughed at my naïveté and shook his head at my assumption.

"No. Klaus and I have many siblings. You just haven't met them yet. Some of them, however, I hope you never do."

"Tell me about them," I spoke eagerly. "I always wanted siblings, but obviously, that never happened."

"Well, there's Freya, and she's a witch, much like yourself."

"Wait. How is she still alive?"

"Magic."

I shrugged and nodded at his explanation, finding it reasonable enough. I mean, I'm a reincarnation of Klaus' dead ex, so who am I to judge?

"Then there's Finn," Elijah sighed. For some reason I got the vibe that he was one of the siblings he didn't want me to meet. "He hates us and our form. Tried to kill us a few times. Hates Klaus with a passion."

"Who doesn't?"

"That's a good question." He chuckled. "But Klaus had left Finn desiccated in a coffin for roughly 900 years, so he has a little more hatred than a lot of people."