Chapter 7

"Come on, Charlie! Please! We'll have fun!" Anna begs, grabbing my arm.

"I don't know..." I respond, shaking my head.

"Please! He needs help! Are you really going to let him burn our house down?"

"...Okay, I'll help."

"Come on! Let's go!"

"Hang on. I have to put shoes on." I grab my converse and pull them on my feet. Anna hands me my jacket and we leave my room.

"Dad! I'm going next door!" I call and he responds with okay. When we get inside, I find shoes gathered by the front door in a pile and jackets laying around the living room. "Goodness. What happened here?"

"Aidan hasn't really left his room since yesterday. When we got back from our aunt's, he went straight to his room and hasn't come out since."

"But, you just told me he wanted to learn how to cook." She smiles, nervously, and rubs the back of her neck.

"I kind of...lied so you could come over and...talk to him."

"...Why?"

"Because he won't talk to me but I know he'll talk to you."

"You can't possibly know that."

"But I do. Just try." She walks into her bedroom before I can say anything else. She opens her door and points to the door next to the bathroom. Then closes her door again. I sigh and knock on the door she pointed at.

"Go away, Anna."

"Um, it's not Anna. It's Charlotte." I hear something fall and then a groan and then the door is opened. Aidan's hair is sticking up more than usual and he's shirtless. "Hey." I say, shyly, blushing.

"...Hey. Why are you here?"

"Well, your sister told me that you wanted to learn how to cook and when I got here, she told me she lied so I would come over and talk you into leaving your room."

"Of course she did." He mumbles. "You don't have to stay unless you want but...if you do, you can teach me how to cook."

"I don't have anything else to do." I respond. He nods and starts to leave his room. I blush again when I notice his bare chest again. I see him smirk before I look away. "Can you...you know...?"

"Yeah, I'll meet you in the kitchen." I nod and walk into the kitchen quickly. "Okay, so what are we making?" He asks coming in with a dark blue T-shirt on.

"Well, what can you make?" I ask and he rubs the back of his neck.

"I can make...macaroni and cheese."

"Barely!" Anna calls from her bedroom. I laugh a little as he groans under his breath.

"Have you eaten anything today?" He shakes his head. "Do you want breakfast foods or lunchy kind of foods?"

"I prefer lunch more."

"Okay. Let's make...macaroni and cheese with sloppy joe?"

"Sure..."

After we finish cooking and eating the food, Anna goes into the living room and starts watching TV. Aidan turns to look at me. "Is there anything else you needs help with?" I ask.

"What?" He asks.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about what your aunt said yesterday but I don't want you to lose Anna. She seems happy here...with you. I want to help as much as I can." He narrows his eyes at me and then he slowly smiles.