Chapter 3

"What the hell is this?!"

I release my grip on Hayden's hand, but he tightens his grip on mine. I look up at him. "Ella, we have to tell her," he whispers.

"Hayley, I thought you were sick," I say to my friend. "I came to get my homework," she snaps. "Now, what the hell is this?" she asks  again, pointing to our hands.

"Okay, we have something to tell you," Hayden says to his sister. "Yeah, you do," she replies, folding her arms.

"Hayden and I have been...dating," I say. "Yeah, no shit. How long?" she asks.

"Since eight grade," Hayden tells her, looking down at the ground.

"Seriously? You guys have been going around behind my back, dating? Since eight grade, too. That is pretty messed up for you guys to keep that from me. I mean...Ella...we made a deal in fourth grade to always tell each other everything. And I kept that promise, and you broke it in eight grade? And Hayden...God, I can see you doing shit like this, but with my best friend?" Hayley says. "How many people know about this?"

"The erm...whole school," Hayden mutters.

"Oh. Wow. So the whole fucking school has been lying to me for almost five years. That's fucked up, that is fucked up," Hayley yells. "You know what? Screw you both. I never want to talk to either of you again."

I try to go after Hayley as she walks away, but Hayden holds me back. "No. Let her cool off before we talk to her," he says to me. I nod.

Hayden walks me home, and then leaves to go talk to Hayley. I head upstairs to my room, and pull out my laptop, only to find Arabella's online. Next thing I know, she's requesting a video call.

"I heard that Hayley found out," she says as soon as I answer. I nod. "What did she say?" Arabella asks.

"Well she got mad that we hid it from her. Then she asked who knew about it and Hayden told her the whole school did then she said it was fucked up and then said 'Screw you both' and left," I tell her.

"Damn. She's really pissed," Arabella laughs. "Yeah, no shit. She's probably never going to talk to me again," I say.

"Yeah...well hey, I have to go. See you Monday," Arabella says, waving, then she signs off. I shut my laptop, then pull out my phone to text Hayden.

Me: Hey...did you end up talking to Hayley?

He replies almost a minute later.

Hayden: Yeah...well sort of. She kind of just told me to go fuck myself then threw her lamp at me.

Me: Wow. We really should have told her earlier.

Hayden: I know. I was dumb when I said we shouldn't tell her. Well, I have to go finish that history paper. Bye babe.

Me: Bye

I lock my phone and go downstairs. "What's wrong, honey?" my mom asks. "Hayley found out Hayden and I are dating and she isn't very happy about it," I tell her.

"Oh yes. Mrs. Black called me, asking if you had any idea why she threw a lamp at Hayden," she laughs.

"Mom, this is no time to be laughing!" I say to her.

"I know. But maybe you should go over to Hayley's house, get Hayden, and explain to her why you both kept it from her," my mom suggests.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do.