Chapter14: Replaced (Part2)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: REPLACED (PART1)

December 5, 2005

 It’s a few days later, and No Rules are in a meeting with their managers, Peter and Logan. They were getting ready to start recording their fourth album. 40 songs were written, the producers made the demos, and now it’s time to record.

 So far, Charlie has been able to stay in NR despite the fact that they’re are doing punk-rock-pop for the fourth CD. Until today, that is.

 He said nervously, “I know we’re doing this emo-crap-pop. But can I hear our songs will sound like?”

 Peter agreed. So he play an instrumental version of one their songs that’s ready to be recorded. Charlie asked if he could hear more, and he did. The music had a very hard punk-pop sound.

 He then became agitated with what he heard, so he said hastily, “Okay, that’s enough!”

 With that, everyone looked at him. Peter stopped the music, and Charlie said, “Okay, I really don’t like this music.”

 Alex taunted, “I thought you were willing to let us record emo-pop.”

 “Well, I was wrong.”

 “So, what are you going to do?”

 Charlie thought for a moment, and then he said, “I’m leaving No Rules. I had a good run, but this is too much. It’s bad enough we have an emo in the band; all of us don’t need to go ‘emo’.”

 Peter told him, “Well Charlie, since you’re leaving the band, we’ll be replacing you with Jeremy Wilds.”

 As soon as Charlie left the boardroom, the NR members cheered! But no one was as a happy as Alex was. For five years, Charlie bullied him nonstop. Now that he was gone, Alex can finally stop fighting, and just relax.

 Then Mariana, who wasn’t cheering, spoke up. “I’m also leaving No Rules.”

 Everyone was shocked. She explained, “I was offer a solo contract with Polydor, and I’ve accepted it.”

 A few minutes later, the meeting was over. Mariana gathered the members together. She gave more detail into her solo offer: “Several years ago, I tried to start a solo career. Then Epic told me to audition for No Rules. If I made it, and if the band was successful, I would get a solo contract. A few days ago, Epic called me to remind me of the deal. So I took it.”

 The members weren’t too happy with this news. Ashley told her angrily, “I can’t believe you’re leaving No Rules for a stupid solo contract. We fought so hard to become a success, and now you’re abandoning everything we work for?”

 Edwards said, “Jeremy’s not gonna like this.”

 Mariana told the members sternly, “None of you tell Jeremy anything! Let me talk to him.”

 “When?”

 “Today.”

 A few hours later, Mariana met with Jeremy at a Starbucks. He said. “So this must be an important meeting cuz you wanted to meet me immediately. You’re lucky I’m on break from a movie I’m filming.”

 Mariana told him, “Jeremy, I have news to tell you. Charlie has left No Rules. You’ll be taking his place as soon as our managers get the contract ready for you.”

 Jeremy smiled at this news. He said, “Great! And just in time since I’m almost done filming. And you and I get to be together.”

 Then she told him nervously, “Erm, I don’t think we’ll be able to be together.”

 Suddenly, Jeremy frowned. He asked, “Why do you say that?”

 “I’m leaving No Rules for a solo career.”

 Jeremy was clearly not happy with this. Then he became upset. He told her off, “Mariana, you and your No Rules band have tried to get me in the band ever since I met you lot to film Dare 2 Dream. Now you’re leaving the band when I’m joining?”

 “Jeremy, I-”

 “We’re done. You and I are over! I’m joining No Rules, but I’m not staying with you.”

 So Jeremy left Mariana at the coffeehouse. She sat there, frustrated. She knew it was a reckless thing to do, to leave the band just when things were going right. But she really wanted a solo career, not be in a band. Now she has to prove Britain that she make it on her own, without her bandmates and friends. Will she succeed? Only time will tell.

 The next day, the original No Rules membes were at EMI to welcome Jeremy and Dare 2 Dream cast member Tiffany into the band. Then the new No Rules headed to the recording studio.

 The new NR announced the lineup change on their MySpace blog. The fans were sad to see Charlie and Mariana leave the band. But NR gained a ton of new fans from Jeremy’s fan base. As for Tiffany, she’s well-known and has a sizable fan base, but she’s still somewhat unknown.

 No Rules has finally become an international sensation after five hard years of struggling. Now that Charlie and Mariana have been replaced with Jeremy and Tiffany, the question is this: Can No Rules survive and become a global phenomenon?