Forget

As Cassidy walked in, Dalton came into the kitchen as well, Madison strutting in behind him.
   "Oh, you're still here?" Madison asked me disdainfully.
   "Seen as she lives here, of course she is," Will snapped. We all turned to look at him, shocked by his uncharacteristic remark.
   "You have the Asian nerd defending you!" Madison said with fake enthusiasm. "How sweet."
   "I'd be friends with Will over you any day, Madison," I said, putting the ice down and standing up.
   "Who would want to be friend with you, you dirty little nothing? Don't you get it? Cole's only keeping you around because he feels bad for you."
   "He's my best friend."
   "No, he's your cousin. You're an orphan. Even when your parents were alive, I doubt they cared about you."
   Everyone's eyes went wide as saucers at Madison's last sentence. I couldn't believe she had said that. My parents loved me more than anything, and I knew that, but hearing Madison say that Cole didn't care really stung. I slowly pushed past her and went upstairs, running to my bedroom and slamming the door before bursting into tears.
   Stop it, Luna, I told myself. Be a big girl. Madison's just a mean old weirdo, don't listen to her.
   I can't be a big girl, said the other half of my mind. What about Mum and Dad? What would they say if they heard that?
   My other half took over the conversation. Face it: if they were here, you would be at home. Madison wouldn't even be part of your life. Neither would Dalton.
   The more I thought about it, the more I realized that not knowing the guys would be awful. Not knowing Dalton would be slightly less awful, seeing as he toyed with my emotions, but I still really like him. Oh, well. I can get over him.
   There was a knock on my door. I assumed it was Cole coming to check on me, so I opened the door and flung my arms around him, tears cascading down my cheeks.
   "Its okay, Luna. You're alright, everything's fine."
   I looked up to see that I wasn't hugging Cole. Dalton stood in the doorway, stroking my back gently.
   "Why are you up here?" I spat, stepping away. "Shouldn't you be down there with your demon of a girlfriend?"
   "Luna, I'm sorry she said that to you. I'm sorry she slapped you. I-"
   "I don't care about what she does, Dalton. I care that you didn't do anything to stop her. Friends defend each other, even if it's against their girlfriends."
   Dalton looked down, stepping into my room. "Luna, I really like Maddie, and I don't want to lose her."
   "So you'd rather lose me?" I asked, my heart falling into my stomach.
   Dalton was silent for a long time. Too long of a time. His facial expression was one of guilt as he made brief eye contact with me before looking back at the floor.
   I shook my head. "Just forget it, okay? Forget that we were ever friends. Forget that you're one of the only people I have left in the world. Forget me."
   Dalton looked equally shocked and sad as I closed the door in his face. I felt a huge sob form in my throat, and I didn't even try to hold it back. I collapsed on my bed, crying and sobbing and carrying on like an infant.
   What did I just do?