Prologue

My parents and I were from my birthday dinner at Red Lobster. Mum was in the front passenger's seat, Dad was driving, and I was sitting in the back of the car. Mum was fiddling with the station on the radio, not wanting to listen to my dad's Billy Joel CD.

   "I don't see why you don't like him, Esmeralda," my father muttered to my mother. "I mean, hello! Piano Man!"

   "I don't mind him, George. But I, personally, prefer David Bowie."

   "Bowie? The man wears makeup!"

   "Luna, baby, did you have a nice birthday?" she asked, changing the subject as Suffragette City began playing.

   "Yeah, it was the best! Thank you," I said happily. 

   "I'm glad, honey," Dad said with a smile. "I love you, my little sixteen-year-old!"

   "I love you, too! You, too, Mum!"

   "George, look out!"

   Before I could realized what had happened, there was a blinding flash of light, the sickening crunch of car metal, and an ear-splitting shriek from my mother. Our car slid across the road, and I was thrown to the other side of the car. 

   "Mum?" I called out, not wanting to open my eyes. 

   When she didn't answer, I felt sick to my stomach. I sat on the floor of the car, sobbing as sirens approached. I felt strong hands lift me from the car.

   "You're alright now, sweetheart. Open your eyes," my carrier said gently. I opened my eyes to see a male paramedic, looking at me with eyes filled with sympathy and pity.

   "My- my parents," I muttered hoarsely, standing up to go back to the car.

   "No, kiddo, you can't go back in there." The paramedic pulled me back, trying to shield me from the horrendous sight that was the accident. "We had an officer driving by who saw everything. Your car was struck by a drunk driver. Can you tell your name, please?"

   "Luna. Luna Jade Pearson. What happened to my parents?" I asked, dreading the answer I knew I would hear.

   The paramedic sighed. "I'm sorry, Luna, but... it doesn't look like they're going to make it."

   "No," I whispered. I watched as my parents, bloody and unconscious, were put onto stretchers and put into an ambulance. I ran as fast as I could and jumped into the ambulance as it took off.   

   "You guys are going to be fine," I whispered to my parents, taking one of each of their hands. "I love you guys. Please, don't leave me." 

   *Time skip, 2 hours later, in the hospital.*

   My parents had both just gotten out of surgery. The doctors all stood in the corner of the waiting room for a moment, whispering frantically as they eyed me with pity. They were fighting over who would talk to me. Finally, the old female doctor shushed them and walked over to me.

   "Sweetie," she said quietly. "Your parents are in critical condition. You should go say your goodbyes."

   I nodded, walking into their hospital room. Both of them were awake, but incredibly weak-looking. I sat in a chair between their beds, tears already flowing down my cheeks. "I-I'm s-sorry th-this hap-ppened," I sobbed.  

   "Honey, it isn't your fault," Mum insisted weakly, holding my hand.

   "I-I should be here, in your place. I should be dying, not you two. You're such great people."

   "It's hereditary," Dad joked, holding my other hand.  "Luna, when you were born, we made your mum's little sister, Terese, your legal guardian if anything happened to us. When Mum and I d- when we... go, you're going to live with your auntie and her family."

   "No, I'm not. Because you're not dying," I said firmly, trying to convince myself as well as them. "You're going to be fine. After this, we'll go home, and everything will be alright. This is not the end."

   "Luna, don't be brave for us. Let it out," Mum whispered.

   "I'm going to miss you. Both of you. So, so much."

   "We know, baby. We know. But remember, we will always love you." Dad was crying now, and Mum's breath was becoming heavier and harder.  

   "I love you both," I said, my voice breaking as I hugged Mum, then Dad. 

   "We love you," they said together.

   The three of us just held hands and sobbed for a minute, then, at the exact same moment, I saw the lines on both of their breathing machines flatten. Doctors ran in, a the old lady that first approached me ushered me out of the room. My heart stopped. I couldn't believe this. This wasn't happening, it couldn't.

   But it had.

   I took out my phone and rang my best friend- and my favorite cousin.

   "Luna? Hey, what's up?" 

   "Cole, I-" I couldn't finish my sentence. I broke down sobbing, not even caring Cole was on the other line.

   "Calm down, Luna. Tell me what happened."

   "My parents just died."