CH.2 In the beast's den

Start from the beginning

“Sir, I am sure Anatoly knows that. He only needs time to adjust with everything, given much happened.” I spoke as I pulled out from the parking space.

“That is right and I know he has a hard time in school. Two weeks ago he came back with a bruise, remember? I know it wasn’t because he got into troubles or anything of the sort; he has changed and I trust him, but I wish he would talk to us more. Unfortunately he is the type of person that tends to keep everything for himself and erect a barrier if you try to force it. He can be stubborn.” He sighed and shook his head and yes, Anatoly could be extremely stubborn and what he said about him was correct. “Well, my wife sure knows how to make him feel loved and I believe Dima can do that in his own way.”

I wanted to say Mr. Denisov could do that as well, because it was crystal clear he loved his son and would go through hell for him, but it was not my position to say it. And he was not man to indulge in sentimentalism.

“Will you have dinner with us, then?”

I reflected a moment and then answered.

“Thank you, sir.” I nodded and then his mobile phone rang and it was Mrs. Denisov. I focused to the road to give them privacy. When the conversation was over, I felt his stare on me and so I inquired whether everything was fine. “Sir, may I ask whether all is good?”

“Yes, all is fine. She just called me after hearing the evening news. Apparently they announced the final sentence and they have sentenced that man for only twenty years; that is not enough, especially for what he did to those children and tried to do to my son.” His stare had darkened and got harder and I understood what he was feeling, because when he spoke those words my hands almost crushed the steering wheel.

That vermin deserved to rot in jail for his entire life and not for only twenty years, given they could be less if he behaved as a model convict. But then I smirked and thought about something.

“He will not make it; twenty years is a long time in prison for someone like him.”

Mr. Denisov glanced at me and then nodded, understanding what I meant.

“I believe you are right.” He simply said and paused a moment to think about something, which I already knew what that was. “Has my son asked you anything?”

“When the news was reported for the first time, after I took care of that man, he asked, but I said nothing, sir.” He didn’t want his son involved and the same applied to me. I made sure nothing could be related to Anatoly and it went according the plan. I would not allow anything to give him further pain and sorrow, and that was why I was keeping a close eye on that gang, but given everything was calm I decided to do nothing for the moment.

“Thank you. I want him out of everything, but I am afraid he might ask for more, especially after hearing today’ news. He is just so stubborn.” He shook his head, but then smiled.

“Do you require me to say anything specific, sir?”

“No, but thank you for asking. I will leave it to your personal judgment.” I simply nodded at his words.

We reached his residence and after making sure everything for the following day was organized and arranged as planned, I excused myself a moment to retire in my quarters. I removed the suit, shirt and tie and wore a simple pair of old army cargo pants and a sleeveless undershirt, as I wanted to exercise a bit before dinner. We had been busy with a new contract and therefore had no time in days to meet with a couple of guys for our usual training. I jumped the rope for a few minutes, just to warm my body up, and then did the basic stretching for then sitting at the bench press; my hands closed around the bar and my arms began to lift it following the rhythm of my breathing.