| nine |

" when life is tough, remember that you are tougher "

The following afternoon was the Gryffindor v. Hufflepuff Quidditch game. Millicent and Blaise dragged Romy out to the Quidditch pitch, forcing her to sit among Pansy, Malfoy, and Crabbe and Goyle. She somehow ended up sitting next to Malfoy, but said nothing, choosing to grit her teeth and fiddle with her purple hair tie rather than start a fight. Instead, she kept her eyes on the Quidditch pitch, and soon noticed that Ron, Hermione, and Neville sat in front of her. She froze in her seat, praying that Malfoy wouldn't notice. She knew that the second he did, endless bickering would ensue.

And it didn't take long for him to notice. The game had just begun. As the players took off, Malfoy jabbed Ron in the back of the head. The ginger turned around, and Malfoy "innocently" said, "Oh, sorry, Weasley, didn't see you there."

Romy scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. As she scowled at the blonde, he was grinning and saying, "Wonder how long Potter's going to stay on his broom, this time? Anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasley?"

Ron ignored him. On the pitch, Snape had just awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because George had accidentally sent a Bludger his way.

This didn't deter Malfoy, though. A few minutes and another penalty for Hufflepuff later, he continued, "You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team? It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money...You should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains."

As Neville turned, red in the face, Romy responded breezily, "Hmm...If that's your logic, perhaps I should request to switch Houses so I can be on the Gryffindor team...After all, I don't have a family either."

Malfoy stared at her, mouth agape, and for a moment—just a moment—his eyes flashed down the necklace she received for Christmas. There was pink tint in his cheeks as his attention turned back to Neville, who stammered, "I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy."

The blonde and his goons howled with laughter as Ron murmured to his friend, "You tell him, Neville."

Mockery laced in his voice, Malfoy taunted, "Longbottom, if brains were gold, you'd be poorer than the Weasleys, and that's saying something."

Romy wasn't sure what exactly happened next. She remembered Ron turning to yell at Malfoy, and it looked like Harry had spotted the Snitch. As usual, Malfoy taunted the Gryffindor but he took it a step too far. Ron threw himself into their row and, before anyone could register what was happening, they were wrestling on the ground. A second later, Neville clambered over the back of his seat to help. Then, Harry caught the Snitch, ending the game and, subsequently, the fight that was happening in the stands. Grabbing Romy and Ron, Hermione dragged the two through the stands, leaving the Slytherins and Neville behind. Evidently, they needed to talk to Harry.

♔♔♔

"Harry, where have you been?" Hermione shrieked when they finally found the raven-haired Gryffindor.

Ron, meanwhile, was still wiping blood from his nose, shouting, "We won! We won!" He thumped Harry on the back. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single-handed! He's still out cold but Madame Pomfrey says he'll be all right—talk about showing Slytherin! Everyone's waiting for you in the common room, we're having a party. Fred and George stole some cakes and stuff from the kitchens."

"Never mind that now!" Harry said, breathless. "Let's find an empty room, you wait 'til you hear this..."

Once they were away from eavesdroppers and Peeves, Harry began to tell him what he saw after the game. "So, we were right, it is the Sorcerer's Stone, and Snape's trying to force Quirrell to help him to get it. He asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy—and he said something about Quirrell's 'hocus pocus'—I reckon there are other things guarding the Stone, apart from Fluffy, loads of enchantments, probably, and Quirrell would have done some anti-Dark Arts spell which Snape needs to break through—"

"So you mean the Stone's only safe as long as Quirrell stands up to Snape?" asked Hermione in alarm.

"It'll be gone by next Tuesday," declared Ron.

Romy shook her head. "I still don't think it's Snape who wants the Stone."