Happenstance.

Beginne am Anfang

"Where did I put them?" I muttered to myself.

I pulled a box down from the top of the pile.  My hand searched through pages of information.  I had kept everything from when I began searching for the demon that killed my family.  I found a box of labeled DVDs. I tossed them into my bag.  In the set of drawers I found my old laptop.  I tucked it into my bag. I also grabbed more ammo, salt and other hunting supplies.  I pulled out the books I had taken from the bunker.  I flipped through them through the night.  Because what I needed was protection.  I found wards against demons and angels.  The guys had anti possession tattoos, but I knew it wouldn't help against Crowley.  I drew the symbols I needed to remember on a piece of paper.  I folded it before slipping the paper into my pocket.  Everything returned to its proper place.  I grabbed a tiny box filled with cash, credit cards and IDs.  It felt like ages since I had been here.  Now everything was different, but the same feeling of grief resonated inside of me.  I grabbed a set of keys and shut the door.  I walked to an area that housed long term storage for cars.   Past all the cars was a motorcycle covered in weather proof casing.  It was a present to myself with the first credit card I stole.  Maybe I needed to be reminded of what got me started.  After all this time I forgot what it was like to be on my own.  Dean and Sam had been with me for months now.  And Crowley's visits had become more often.  All I wanted to do was knock a few heads in.  Kill a few baddies, have a few drinks and move on.  The way it used to be.  I looked at the bike I had stored in the back.  She was as beautiful as the day I bought her.  The helmet pulled over my head after I had put my headphones back in.  I secured the bag around me as I started up the bike.  Something stirred inside me.  It was excitement, happiness maybe.  I revved the engine as I pulled onto the road and headed out of town.

Months passed quickly.  It had been over a year since I left.  Every day that passed I thought of Dean.  Part of me yearned to see him again.  But when I ditched that part of my life I left everything behind.  I could have found him via Bobby, but the thought of it  was too embarrassing for me.  I just finished a hunt and returned to the rented motel room.  I shut the door and stripped out of the blood stained clothes.  My feet brushed against the seventies style shag rug that covered the floor.  The light to the bathroom flicked on.  I started the shower and jumped in.  The water was cool, but it felt nice after a hunt.  I had spent time searching through the unmarked DVDs I grabbed.  They contained footage from a security camera system my parents had set up in the home.  It was supposed to be in case of a robbery.  That's what they told us at least.  I wanted to find the night they were killed.  I had to know if what Crowley said was right.  I fell asleep watching the video.  Suddenly a burst of static woke me up. My eyes opened to see the video flickering.  The date and time matched, I had found it.  They were wrapping presents.  My mom was making a cake.  I smiled.  That's why they wanted me to go out.  The cameras flickered, making the picture near impossible to see.  I heard the screams. I turned it off immediately.  In my bag was a sharpie marker.  After making a note I tucked the video away.  I wasn't ready to see it.  My laptop slid onto a nearby table.  Afterwards I flicked on the television.  The volume was low, it was only on to make me feel like someone else was here.  Like I wasn't completely alone.  My legs slipped beneath the blankets.  The rest of my body followed as I stared at the ceiling.  My hands intertwined beneath my head.  No matter what lies I told myself.  Or how much I convinced myself this was the best option.  I missed the guys.  Bobby would yell at me for taking off again.  Whatever good times I thought of immediately faded.  Dean's last words echoed in my head.  His pleading voice broke my heart. My phone buzzed.  It was someone I helped a few months back.

Hey, ____, hate to bother you so late.  But something weird is going on here.  People have gone missing and I have a feeling some thing is watching me.  Can you get here?

Send me the details.  I will leave right now.  I should be able to get there in a few hours.  Stay safe.

I jumped out of bed, I wasn't tired anyway.  After changing my clothes I grabbed my things and checked out.  The bag tightened around me.  And the helmet slid over my head.  The key slid into the ignition and the bike started. I started forward slowly. No cars were coming.  The bike took off down the empty road.  Nothing lined the road for hours.  Not even a streetlight.  My eyes occasionally drifted to the sky. This time of night the sky was clear.  Stars filled the sky it was beautiful.  It was one of the things I loved about these rural areas.  It was also a perk that speed limits were more of a suggestion.  It was about quarter after four in the morning when  I arrived at her house.  It was quiet, all the lights were out and I had a bad feeling about this. My arm never properly healed from the break.  I found it best to keep wearing the sling.  Mainly because it was a great place to stash weapons.  The door was locked, but not fully closed. My hand pushed the door open.  I flicked on a nearby light. Everything looked normal.  When  I walked into the living room I heard a quiet, squishing noise beneath my shoe.  I froze in my place as I backed up and turned on a lamp.  It was too late she was dead.  My lips parted slightly to let an annoyed sigh pass.  Even though I got here as fast as I could it wasn't enough.  I pulled out my phone and dialed the police.  I took a few deep breaths, forcing my voice into a panic.

"H-help! Please my friend is dead!" it was a dramatic performance, but it needed to be done.

"Okay, ma'am, just give us your location and stay on the line we will have someone out there shortly."

I held the phone to my ear.  My voice carried the usual answers to when I had to call something like this in.  Since I left I had seen a lot of death.  I helped a lot of people, too.  But some just couldn't cheat death even with my help.  Lights flashed as sirens neared the house. Cars stopped.  Paramedics jumped out of their rides only to run in past me.  An officer pulled me aside.  He asked me basic questions about what I had seen.  I had already gathered what I could about what attacked her.

"So what happened?" the officer asked.

"She sent me a really weird message. I got here and...and," I sobbed.

"Thank you for your time.  We will be in touch Miss Winters."

I nodded and hurried to my bike.  A car was pulling up when I started my bike.  I took off down the road.  Two men got out of the car after I left.  They walked into the crime scene flashing badges.  The two of them walked around inspecting the scene.

"Dean," Sam hissed, "look at this."

"What is it?" Dean asked.

The phone under the girl's hand glowed showing a text message.  They both tilted their heads to read the message.  The name struck them as familiar.  Dean stood up and walked to an officer.

"Who found the body?" Dean asked.

"A friend of hers.  Said she was coming for a visit and found the door open.  The girl was really shaken up, you should let her rest for the night."

"Should I?  This is the third murder like this one in a week.  I don't think it would be smart to wait.  Where is she staying?"

"The Blue Heron motel. Go to the end of the street make a left.  You can't miss it.  It will be on your right."

Dean didn't even get Sam.  This was the closest lead he had of finding her in over a year.  The impala started as Sam perked his attention out the door.  The car took off as he sighed.  Sam looked around the scene a bit longer.  The officer Dean spoke with directed him toward the motel.  Dean pulled into the motel as he looked around.  No one was in any of the cars.  Maybe she didn't come here.  He headed toward the office to find if anyone had just checked in.  The door swung open  before he could reach for it.  He stopped in his tracks.

"____?" he asked.