"I get it."

"And stop eating Joshua's shit. He pays a lot of money for the healthy stuff."

"I'm not eating his food."

"You're eating it right now."

She's crying. She has her face buried between her knees while she sits against the wall; hyperventilating like she's locked in a room with a monster.

That's what he looks like right now because he has blood on one hand and a pistol in the other. She lifts her head just in time to see him take a step forward, and she gets louder, whimpering like the tip of the gun is against her temple.

He drops to his knees in front of her and frowns. The gun isn't even touching her. It's his hand resting on her temple, his fingers moving to work through the knots in her hair before the gun in the other hand drops onto her lap. It slips right off and out of sight.

"Please don't hurt me," she pleads. "Please. Please don't kill me. I don't want to die."

Her brother slowly morphs into Harry, green eyes livid and lips in a straight line as the gun reappears and is shoved between her teeth. "I think it's better this way."

Something that sounds identical to a gunshot wakes Astraya up, and she practically jumps right out of the bed before landing on the floor. She feels too weak.

Her eyes dart around the abnormally dark bedroom. She cautiously picks herself up and makes her way to the door.

Even the hallway is pitch black. She has a splitting headache and isn't sure if she's dizzy or not. Shadows are morphing together and her body feels like it's being dragged underwater, legs moving increasingly slower with how long she walks.

"Hello?" Her voice is hoarse. Fear takes root in her chest when something is heard from behind her.

As quickly as she can, Astraya chooses to walk toward the staircase, but a pair of arms keeps her from going any further. She's whipped around before her mouth parts, and sees Liam. He almost looks like he could be concerned. Something makes a noise downstairs and she clutches harder onto him, knowing she's close to blacking out again.

"Who's downstairs? Why are there...why is someone here? Where's Harry?"

His face hardens considerably but his grip is still light. "Shh, Astraya. You have to be quiet, okay?"

"Why?"

He says something but she's already out of it. Her legs give out under her but it wasn't unprecedented. If anything, it feels good to not force herself on her feet.

Waking up the second time around hurts more than the first. Her body is heavy and sore. She tries to move but opens her eyes in alert when it's clear that she's tied up.

Her wrists are tied above her head, the top of the rope connected to the ceiling. Her eyes are wild as they move to take in her surroundings. Metal walls and a single lightbulb in the center of the room. The floors are immaculate but there's a rotten smell in the air. She tries to pull her arms but the ropes only dig into her skin and remind her that she's weaker than she normally would be.