iii. More updates on the show

On December 23, Mnet stated, “We are proceeding with the plans of producing season 2 of ‘Produce 101.’ We are aiming to air it in the first half of next year and have currently started production.”

In regards to the recruitment of contestants, Mnet stated, “We can’t reveal it yet. We will reveal things one by one when the framework of the show gets unveiled.”

First season of “Produce 101” included about 101 trainee girls from 46 domestic entertainment agencies competing to join a project girl group. 11 girls were confirmed at the end of the show and girl group I.O.I was created.

With the announcement of season 2, the staff also officially revealed that it will be a male version. It was first planned to air in March next year, but the staff corrected, “It will air sometime in the first half [of 2017].”

What are your thoughts on “Produce 101” season 2?

via Soompi

A/N: I'm guessing they might reveal the trainees either late January and/or until early March. There have also been rumours that the producers of the show are currently struggling to recruit male trainees from agencies across South Korea, most especially from the prominent entertainment companies. We already heard about YG and SM expressing that they are officially not participating on the show, while other companies like Starship, BigHit, CUBE etc. are also a bit reluctant whether or not they will send their trainees to join this survival program. Here's what allkpop has to say:

Mnet is busy casting trainees for their second season of 'Produce 101,' featuring male trainees, but insiders are saying that the recruitment is proving harder than expected.

The production team of 'Produce 101' has already officially announced the launch of season two with a similar system as that of the first season. The problem is the casting. They expected many trainees to jump at the chance of becoming the next IOI, but the reality was little bit different.

Many agencies like SM Entertainment and YG Entertainment, again, decided not to participate. CUBE, Woollim, BigHit, and Starship also have expressed their plan to not participate. There are plenty of individual trainees, but not very many agencies seem to be interested. 'Produce 101' even reached out to agencies  that mainly have actors with little result. 

Why are many agencies cold about the idea of sending their trainees to the new season of 'Produce 101' when IOI was one of the most popular groups of the year?
One insider stated, "IOI was successful this year, but internally, they are struggling. There are conflicts that have to do with contracts and scheduling. Some of the agencies even tried to pull members out of the last schedule of the year, which is the IOI concert...Smaller agencies might use the opportunity to promote, but there are not many incentives for them to be on the show."

According to the insider, another reason many agencies are reluctant about 'Produce 101' is the clear hierarchy of power. 'Produce 101' contract shows that trainees get zero compensation for being on the show. Additionally, agencies and trainees must sign away any legal rights to take CJ E&M to court even if they do not like the way they are portrayed or edited on the show.

Mnet still plans to air 'Produce 101' season two early next year. Guess we will find out if it will be another success or not!

via allkpop

What do you guys think? Are you all keen to see if season 2 will be as successful as its first season? Share your thoughts below!

Annnnnnd...... stay tuned for more updates next year!

P.S. Wishing everyone a prosperous 2017!

♡MHS