Chapter Seventeen

"You get to come home tomorrow," Tori said with a smile as she sat next to Scott on the bed

"I know, Princess," he said as he put his hand on her upper thigh and drew circles with his thumb. "And I have some plans for just you and me."

"Are you really feeling better?" She asked as she looked at him. Most of the tubes and wires were gone. He only had an IV tube and a heart monitor connected to him.

"I promise, I feel so good right now," he said as he continued to moved his thumb in little circles. "But I will feel much better when I get you all by myself."

"Well, you'll have to take an easy for a while," she told him with a smile and a shake of her head.

"I know that," he said with an evil grin. "That's why you'll have to do all the work and I'll get to lay back relax and enjoy."

"Calm down, Scottie boy," Cain said with a look of disgust. "I don't need to hear that shit."

"Whatever," Scott said to Cain. "I know that you love to hear my stories and try to live through them."

"Hey, I'm still here," Tori said as she blushed.

"Don't worry, Tor," Cain said not quite looking at her. "He won't share that info with us."

"I'm going to get some coffee," Tori said as she grabbed her purse. "Do you guys want anything?"

"Coffee sounds good," Cain said as he sat down on a chair next to the bed.

Tori left the two boys and went to get coffee. While she was standing in line Matt came up to her and gave her a hug.

"You know that I already consider you my daughter," Matt told her as he paid for the coffees. "My son loves you very much."

"I love him, too," Tori answered as she took her coffee. "And I'm honored to have you as a father."

"I need to take you for some x-rays," a nurse said as Tori and Matt walked into the room. "If everything is healing right, this will be your last set."

"Thank God," Scott told her as he lowered himself into the wheelchair. "That damn table is cold."

While Scott was getting his x-rays, Tori and Cain sat in his room talking to each other. Matt stepped out to have a word with Scott's doctor.

"Soo, why can't you sleep?" Cain asked Tori. "And don't give me the same bullshit that you tell Scott. That you are just worried about him,"

"Do you really want to know or is this just small talk?" Tori asked him back with an uncertain look in her eyes.

"I really want to know," Cain told her looking her in her eyes. "Believe it or not, the guys want to help you, and that include me."

"I can't sleep at night because of the dreams," Tori started as she stared out the window. "The night that this all happened, I didn't remember much at first. But each night I close my eyes I see just see bits of it, in slow motion."

"Tell me," Cain demanded her.

"I'll make you a deal," Tori told him as she sat back down. "I'll tell you this and you tell me why you hate me so much."

"Deal, I tell you why," Cain told not quite meeting her eyes. "Now you get to start."

"Fine, it always starts the same," Tori said with her eyes on the skyline of the window, speaking softly and slowly. "We walk in to the pool hall and get the table in the back. After you rack the balls, Scott went to get us drinks, so I break the set. Then I see a gun, nothing else but that damn rifle. I hear the first shot and I see Scott get hit and fall. Then everything in my line of sight goes red. It's blood and all I see is it is dripping. Dripping from everything, the walls, chairs, tables, but mostly it's all over Scott, Then I wake up. I know that I didn't see him... I really didn't see Scott get hit or fall. I know that you pushed me down before I could see anything."

"Tor, you know that I didn't try to hurt you, I was trying to make sure you didn't get hurt, right?" Cain asked.

"I know that," Tori answered blinking back the tear that had threatened to fall. "But I still really don't understand why. I mean you..."

"Because I hate you," Cain finished for her.

"Yeah," She simply replied, biting her bottom lip.

"It's not that I hate you, Tor," He said as he looked out the window. "Scott had his world shattered by a typical 'rich bitch' before. And you just remind me of her, and he deserve someone that will see the real him. I told you I'm more of a brother than his best friend."

"You're not telling me everything," Tori accused him.

Before Cain could say anything, they heard a code blue in the x-ray room being sounded. Tori and Cain looked at each other before bolting to the door. But, before they got out of the room, a doctor came in looking for Scott's father. Tori sent a text to Matt and told him that he was needed in Scott's room right then.

"Sir, I need to speak with you, alone," the doctor said as soon as Matt walked in.

"They stay," Matt said as he reached for Tori hands and Cain placed a hand on Tori's shoulder. "They're family."

"Sir, your son had a complication from the surgery," the doctor started as he looked at Matt. "During the x-rays, his heart stopped and he went into cardiac arrest."

"What are you trying to say?" Tori asked as the tears started to fall down her face.

"We tried everything, but he was not responding," the doctor continued. "It appeared that there was a slow leak that we didn't see. There was internal bleeding and his heart couldn't handle the added pressure."

Matt cried silent tears as held onto Tori as she cried also. Cain wrapped his arms around both of them trying to protect them from the hurt.

NOTE: Sorry this chapter was so short. I had a hard time writing this. But I believe if I added more or even tried to edit this, I would lose my nerve and would have changed everything. Please don't hate me...