Perhaps It's You She Needs

Al poured two cups of coffee and delivered one to Adam's desk, "It's black. You doing okay?" He sat on the corner of the younger man's desk.

Adam pressed his fingers into his eyes. "No." He mumbled with his eyes still closed, "I'm frustrated, O. Every fucking tip that's been called in has been absolute horseshit. I swear every whackjob in this fucking state has called in a tip...its bullshit. These hotlines are waste of fucking time" he pulled at his hair.

"Drink the coffee, Adam. You look like shit." Al took his own advice and finished what was left of his coffee. They'd been at it for hours, it had been thirty six hours since London had gone missing...or discovered as missing. The teacher swore it was no more than five minutes that she had turned her back on London to deal with a little boy.

"How does a kid just vanish, O?" Adam wiped the remnants of coffee off his lips, "No one has seen her..." he grabbed one of the photos Erin had sent with Jay after he went to check on Erin at Kim's apartment. "She's beautiful..." he had noticed the similarities between Kim and London, the kid was all Sean Roman..except for the eyes. Sure, they were the same color as Sean's but the shape of them and the love conveyed in them were all Kim.

Al squeezed Adam's shoulder, "Take a breath Ruzek. Step back from all of it and breathe.." he could see how badly it was eating away at Adam, he could see the look of helplessness written all over the younger man's face.

Adam nodded his head, "Yeah." He knew Al was trying to help, but he could take all the deep breaths in the world and it wouldn't change a damn thing. London would still be missing...out there with god knows who and probably terrified. He wouldn't wish that on any child, the cases that involved children had always been his kryptonite but this was a thousand times worse.

This was Kim's child.

The woman he had loved for years...the woman he tried to forcefully remove from his heart but he couldn't. Almost six years later she still had a death grip on his heart...she haunted his every thought.

He loved London from afar, how couldn't he? He saw so much of Kim in her..her laugh was infectious just like Kim, when she smiled her eyes sparkled. He didn't have a relationship with her like the rest of the unit, nope they had all become honorary aunts and uncles..and he was just 'Mister Adam'. Why Kim felt the need to be so formal he would never know, but it was what it was.

It was pointless, but he tried to do what Al had said. He tried to take a deep breath to pull air into his lungs..but it was a struggle, he felt like he had a thousand pound anvil sat on his chest, and he felt like he was he was trying to suck air through a straw.

Kevin was restless, he wanted to be actively searching for London, but Hank had ordered him to stay at Kim's place, along with Erin. Hank feared that if it was Sean who had grabbed London, that it was only the beginning. He feared that he'd go after Kim as well and he didn't want her alone. Sure, Erin was capable of protecting them both, even Kim was capable. Under any other circumstances he wouldn't think twice about leaving Erin and Kim alone. Not this though, not when Kim was distraught and Erin wasn't much better.

Kevin wasn't pleased at first, but after hearing Hank out he understood. He was hoping Roman would show up, he'd love to have a go at him.

Adam had stepped outside for air, the air in the bullpen felt heavy and stale. The temperature had dropped dramatically, it had been in the low 80s for a few days but it seemed a cold front had settled over the city, and he wished he had grabbed his hoodie on his way out. He had bummed a cigarette and a lighter from a patrol officer he passed on his way out.