The Kid's Not Here

"Hey.." Adam smiled when Kim opened the door, "I grabbed a pizza..I don't know about you but I'm starved." He was a bit surprised at her silence, he set the pizza on top of the stove and went to her.

Kim picked at a hangnail, "Darlin', you okay?" Adam asked as plopped down beside her on the couch.

They'd been back together for a few weeks now and while things had been progressing nicely, it had been slow going. They had decided that things needed to go slow, that they had both had their hearts broken and in order to fix it, they needed to rebuild their love and trust for each other from the ground up.

Kim pulled her hand away as Adam went to take hold of it, "Adam.." her voice cracking.

"What is it? What's wrong?" He panicked, "Did I do something?" To call him paranoid wouldn't be a stretch, after their failed engagement he had learned to ask questions. He would never just let things roll of his back anymore, he no longer refused to 'rock the boat'.

Kim turned on the couch to face him, "Something has happened.."

"Kim..you're scaring me. What is it?" He went to touch her again, he was stunned to see her recoil from his touch, it was almost as if his touch would hurt her. He could feel the room start to spin, and his stomach flipped.

"I don't want to hurt you..I hate knowing that I hurt you.."

Adam interrupted her, "Baby, forget it. That's over and done with. We decided that when we got back together..you can't keep bringing that up...we can't move forward if we're always looking backwards.."

"I'm pregnant, Adam. I'm so sorry.." she watched as her words sunk in, the color draining from his face, she could see the shock in his eyes.

"What?" Adam wasn't sure he had heard her correctly, "Pregnant?" He mumbled. They had yet to have sex, it was a lot harder than Adam had anticipated but he knew it was important. He was never a math whiz, but even he could do the simple math in his head.

He wanted to puke. She didn't need to tell him..he knew it was Sean Roman's baby.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry" she didn't try to stop the tears, "I.." she stammered desperate to find the right words, anything to erase the look of devastation on Adam's face, "It's Sean's...he's coming back..."

Adam gulped, "Okay." He stood up from the couch and began to pace, "Pregnant..." the word burned his tongue as he said it, "I...I..don't know what to say...what you want me to say...or what you need me to say..." he was spinning out, he had thought they would get it right this time.

Kim watched as he went to the window and placed his hands on the windowsill as his head dipped. He might as well have plunged a knife in her heart, she was crushed. She went to him, she gently placed her hand on the small of his back, she pulled her hand away when she felt him tense up,  "I'm so sorry, Adam."

He stood up straight and cleared his throat, "Its fine. I'm fine..." he reached up and ran the palms of his hands beneath his eyes. He cursed the tears that had slipped from his eyes, he turned to face her. "I can't say I'm happy.." well if that didn't make him feel like a dick.

"I know..." Kim bit her bottom lip.

Fuck! He hated how sad she looked, "How far along?"

Kim took a deep breath, "Sixteen weeks. I chalked up a lot of my symptoms to stress...I had no idea...I swear Adam, had I known..."

"You never would've gotten back together with me...right?" He cupped her face in his hand, "I love you..." he ran his thumb over her lips, "I love you enough to walk away..I want you to be happy Kim..." his voice cracking slightly, "Be happy...a baby..its a good thing...you'll be an amazing mother.." he moved his hands to her neck, pulling her closer to him, he placed a light kiss to her forehead, "Take care of yourself...and that baby...it's a lucky kid..to have you as its mother...I just wish.."