Teen Smackdown Pt. 5

Jamie

"Maria, I'm so sorry. I should have believed you. He was such a jerk." I can't stop crying and somehow Maria just keeps whipping out tissues. The girl was like a machine.

"Jamie. It's ok. Since when do you listen to me anyway?" She gave a halfhearted smile.

I tried to smile in return but it came out as a grimace, I knew she was trying to make me feel better but I just couldn't muster up that much happiness. I really thought Mason and me could have lasted. I always fell for the jerks.

"Marrrr," I wailed. I had been so looking forward to this summer and now it was a giant pile of poo.

"Ok Jamie," she looked at her phone. "You have officially mourned that jerk for a whole 5 mintutes." We were walking out of the school towards our street. "So, now it is time to go out and check out much better, more good looking guys. Because honestly, he was so not worth it and he looked like a chipmunk."

Ouch. That was harsh yet true. I sighed. "I know you're right but...I just...can't." Oh geez. I was gonna get a lecture for that. She took a deep breath.

"Jamie. You're gorgeous, smart...well most of the time," she smiled at me. Hey, we all had our dumb moments. " It's summer and you're single. There isn't one sane guy out in the world who wouldn't look at you and think 'Danggg, that girl's got it goin onnnn'. So forget about Mason. Not to be harsh but he dumped you for another girl who's probably a slut. Now, eat a Snickers bar and get over him. He's not worth it and he hurt you. So warp his face on the computer and throw darts at it. Then take a deep breath and start over. And with a hot guy this time please." She looked at me.

"Look, I know you love me and stuff, but I don't think I can just get over him that fast. We were together for five months, Mar. You don't know what it's like to think you might actually love someone. You've never experienced it. You wouldn't know." Her eyes flashed. Crap. I forgot her love life was a sore spot.

"Well sorry for trying to stand up for you Jamie. Maybe I should just let you go and cry over some jerk who doesn't deserve you. And you're right. Maybe I don't know what it's like to love some one. Or even possibly love someone. But then again I haven't cried for a week over someone. I didn't go through the breakup and post breakup avoidance. So I guess I'll just leave the love crap to you since you know all about it." She turned and walked down the street to her house.

"Maria! You know I didn't mean it like that! Please come back!" She kept walking. I sighed.

Great this was just what I needed. I walked up the driveway to the side door of my house. The house was covered in a peeling paint job. It was a light robin's egg blue and well...I guess the only way to describe the shape was that it was barn like. There was two floors to the house but my dad had been remodeling. It was on hold for now. I wasn't sure when he was ever going to get it done. My sister and I had shared a room since we were young. Our parents were divorced and our mom lived a couple blocks away. I know, it's weird. Anyway, our dad's house is where we originally lived when our parents were together. My sister, who was three years younger than I gave me a puzzled look when she saw Maria wasn't with me. Yeah, we were together so much we've been mistaken for sisters and we get clumped together frequently.

"Don't ask."

Emily just looked back down at her Nintendo DS. Sometimes, having a younger sister was a pain in the butt. So much that sometimes I feel like slapping her upside the head. Others, it was nice because they really couldn't care less. Emily had just finished her first year in middle school and was doing ok as far as anyone knew. I sat down on my bed, the bottom bed of the bunk beds we shared, and then proceeded to lay down. I thought about the crappy day I'd had. First, Mason had dumped me. Then, Maria almost beat the crap out of him which, honestly, I would have liked to see. After, my thanks was to go and piss off Maria so bad that she probably wouldn't come over for another hour. It really wasn't that long but it seemed like an eternity.

Great. Life was just wonderful.