35 - No one's getting younger

ALDEN WOLFF

I dont move my hand from her leg until we get there, and even then I want to keep her hand in mine or an arm around her waist. She looks so amazing, anyone might try to get her. I need to keep her with me so all the boys with ugly dates dont try her, and she doesn't pick one. I might be infamous, but their vision might be blurred by her.

She didn't want a drink and refused any alcohol in the limousine which is sensible. Jordan and Brooklyn took a bottle of champagne between them and the driver protested, but couldn't stop them. They tossed him a few dollars and said they wouldn't mention it. Jaimie laughed and shook her head.

I have seen her in short clothes before, but not heels with her hair and makeup done. I know she is beautiful anyway, but it is striking. Its different. I dont know which I like more, or if I just like her.

As soon as she steps out I interlock my fingers with hers. She looks at me strangely but laughs it off. I keep her next to me, and talk quietly as we walk towards the hall.

"Am I still a wolf?" I mutter into her ear.

"We'll see."

Jenni walks up to us, with Brooklyn clinging to her, which is new. Jaimie doesn't look surprised.

"Are you two gonna dance?"

"No!" "Yes." We say simultaneously.

Jaimie shakes her head at me.

"I'm not dancing. I dont dance." She protests, and I drag her faster by her arm.

"You do now." I grin, pulling her on. She tries to untangle herself but I have her tightly, making sure I dont hurt her though.

A red carpet is rolled out, spotlights shining on the ugly building in an attempt to meet the theme and it is a pathetic, comical excuse for glamour.

Brooklyn and Jenni go in ahead of us, holding each other close. I put my arm around her waist, and for once she only looks at me incredulously, letting me keep it there.

"Well I cant kiss you, so you have to let me do something." I say, as we get to the end of the red carpet, the white lights beyond flashing and lighting up her face every other beat of the music. She smiles, letting me walk her in. Jordan and Kimmy, or whatever her name was, didn't come with us, and Shawn didn't want to come. I don't know if Jordan is already here, or they're not even coming and it was just an excuse.

The room is set up with a space in the middle, already filling with couples and friends, and tables all around the edges, set up with several seats and elaborate decorations. I let her guide me to a table and we sit with Brooklyn and Jenni. I sit next to her, not touching her but close enough. People are already getting drunk and I don't want anyone near her now. She could easily look after herself but that doesn't stop me.

"Do you want a drink before someone spikes it?" Jaimie suggests, standing up from the table.

"If they're gonna spike it, they will have already." I interrupt and she smirks down at me, hands on her hips.

"How do you know?"

"I... Erm..."

"You did it last year?" She grins, walking into the crowd with Jenni. I tense up and strain my eyes to watch her, jumping off my seat. Brooklyn looks confused.

"She can look after herself." He says sharply.

"I know. I dont want another guy to get her-"

"Alden. Stop being a jealous twat. She doesn't need you breathing down her neck." He lectures me, pulling me down by the shoulder.