The Kid's Not Here

Start from the beginning

"Adam..." Kim cried, "I'm sorry...."

Adam let go of her, "Me too...he better be good to you.." he went to the door, turning back to look at her once more, "Bye Kim..."

Why the fuck was he thinking of that now? Adam pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to find some semblance of calm, it wasn't easy. That day was forever etched in his mind, after she had told him and he had sometime to process it they talked and decided to give it another go.

It soon became clear that it was impossible and they parted ways.

He had done alright for himself since then, he never found anyone who could chase Kim from his heart, and eventually he gave up. He was quite content to just have a good time with random girls he had encountered at various bars. He quickly learned that life was much simpler that way...sure it was a lonely life. Even when he was with someone he felt lonely...he knew why. It was because he wasn't with Kim.

"Officer Ruzek?" A baby faced rookie called him, "I've got the statements you asked for...is there anything else I can do?"

Adam welcomed the interruption, he'd been lost in his thoughts for far too long. "Uh..how about you go see about the zoo's security cameras, maybe they picked something up."

"On it." The rookie responded.

He was a little too eager for Adam's liking but he bit his tongue. Now was not the time to call the kid out. All he wanted to do was keep his head down, do his work, and avoid Kim.

He had been successful on all fronts, but he feared he was playing Russian roulette and he was terrified.

"Can I get you anything? Maybe something to drink?" A representative from the Zoo asked Kim, "Just say the word Officer Burgess..we will get you whatever you need."

Kim didn't lift her eyes from her lap, "My daughter. I need my daughter." Her tone was sharp and angry.

Erin jumped in, "I got this...thanks." She shooed the representative away, "How're you doing?" She cringed, "Stupid question...I know."

"That it is." Kim retorted.

Erin sat beside her, "So..the Zoo has been searched..she's not here. We've already circulated her picture throughout the city, and state. Voight has turned in a few chits to get this spread across statelines. Plus, Al has a few connections with the FBI so he's calling in those favors..We are on this, Kim. We will get London back."

"I'm scared..." Kim's resolve cracked and she fell into Erin's open arms, sobbing uncontrollably.

The sun had finally dipped below the horizon and there was still no sign of London, the Zoo had been shut down for the foreseeable future. Voight had demanded that it be shutdown until forensics could go over every nook and cranny. Surprisingly the Zoo's administration was more than willing to do so. Though, the team knew it wasn't done for London's benefit it was the Zoo's attempt to save face and make sure they didn't face the wrath of the public.

Al found Adam huddled in a corner of the Zoo's security office, "Ruzek, let's go."

Adam's head snapped up, "We're leaving?"

"Yea..the kid's not here..no sense staying..." Al jammed his hands in his pockets, "the girl will be found, Adam."

The girl? What the fuck was that about? It wasn't some random girl, some kid they didn't know. How could Al treat her as such? It annoyed him to no end.

"London." Adam snapped as he grabbed the files he had gathered, "Her name is London." He brushed past Al angrily, muttering under his breath as he left.