Pulling out of the parking lot I made my way to the closest hotel.  I walked in and was greeted by a cheerful young girl.  “Hello! Welcome to The Estate, do you have a reservation?” She asked.  “No, I’m looking for a single room for a couple of days.” I smiled at her.  “You’re in luck!  We just had a cancellation.” She said typing into the computer.  “How many nights?” She asked.  “Um, let’s go for a week.” I told her thinking about how long I was going to need the room.  “Alright, it’s 120 a night, there is a complimentary breakfast that starts at 6am and ends at 11am.  The pool is open from noon until ten.  Here is your room key, take the third elevator to the fourth floor.  Make a left down the hall and your room is on the right.” She smiled as she handed me the key.

I walked away, followed her instructions and found it perfectly to my room.  My phone rang and I looked to see who was calling.  ‘Dylan’ the I.D. read.  I hesitated but finally decided to answer it.

“Hello?” I answered.  “Where are you?!” He yelled.  “I’m safe.  Don’t worry.  I need space to think about things.  You don’t want to be with me so why should I stay there and suffocate you any longer?” I was holding back my tears.  “What the hell are you talking about?!” He was angry.  “Dylan.  Don’t yell at me.  I don’t deserve that.  You made it clear that you didn’t want me there, that you didn’t want me.” I said shakily.  “What in the world gave you that idea?” He asked me.  “Dylan, you don’t touch me. You don’t look at me.  When you talk to me, you’re always pissed off with me or short.  You come to bed late and you never show interest in me when I put it out there.  I get it, you had to get rid of what made you normal but it was because you wanted to.  I never made you do that.” I stopped talking knowing that my tears were going to betray me.  He didn’t say anything, he just groaned.  “I need to go.” I said and hung up.

My phone continued to ring and it was always Dylan calling.  I fell asleep crying not sure what I was going to do, how could I do anything now that he didn’t want to be with me.

Dylan’s POV

I came out of the shower and Elle was missing.  I looked over and saw that all of her things were gone.  I picked up my phone that was on my table and that’s when I saw it.  There was a note and a ring.  I groaned knowing that I really screwed up.  There was so much going on over the past couple of weeks that I was neglecting her.  I sat down and read the note.

Dylan,

  I know you may think that this is the coward’s way out but this is the best thing for us.  For the past couple of weeks we have been drifting apart.  I don’t know what happened or if it’s fixable.  In my heart I know that this is the hardest thing that I’m going to have to do.  When I asked you if you wanted to be with me, you hesitated and that’s all that I needed.  It was enough of an answer to know that you don’t want to be with me.

I have to leave you so that you can figure out what you want.  Don’t worry about me because I’m a big girl and I’ll be just fine.

Love always,

  Elle

I stared at the letter and that’s when I realized that I just screwed up the best thing in my life.  I needed to get her back because she was the only thing that was keeping me going these past weeks.  I was in over my head and I should have relied on her to guide me more but her Dad discouraged that.  She was my other half and she needed to be involved.  I should have just let her know what was going on.  Instead I pulled myself away from her.

I called her because I needed to hear her voice.  I realized that she had been gone for a few hours.  She wasn’t coming back and that broke my heart even more.  Knowing that I was the cause of all this.  I just got her back and I couldn’t keep her, I was a pathetic excuse of a person and I didn’t deserve her.