Chapter Ten

Bruce knocked on the door while Alfred sat in the waiting room.
"Barbara?" He said slowly.
"Hey Bruce." She said looking up at him.
"What happened?" He said, a bit forceful. Barbara breathed out slowly.
"Tim called me last night. He said Dick got shot and you and Dick got into a fight and ran off and had been gone for awhile. Dick had sent him coordinates to this random building where Dick must have been staying. He was out cold and bleeding, and Tim said that if we brought him to a hospital in Gotham we'd be too exposed and he didn't want that," Barbara stopped to catch her breath. Her head still hurt. "But I think it might have been he was pretty mad at you." She said looking back up at Bruce. "Anyway, I called Zatana to get us a car to drive up to Boston, but when we were almost here I spaced out and didn't see a truck had been in the wrong lane. I didn't have time to swerve fully and we hadn't buckled Dick in and he went flying through the front window." A hot tear fell down her face. "We were going to check him in under a fake name, but obviously we couldn't. Poor Tim will have that scar on his chest forever. Did you hear? He got a big piece of glass in his chest. They said it didn't go far, but it still probably will need surgery. It was big, I saw it. Or maybe I didn't really. I don't really remember much after the crash. I was in and out of consciousness." She closed her eyes as more tears fell. "They told me about Dick. He'll be okay...right?" She sounded less like an 18 year old and more like a seven year old. Bruce nodded.
"Yeah h-he'll be fine." He was really telling himself that. "Where's Tim's room?"
"Down the hall, to the left. But I think the were giving him medicine to put him out so they could look at the gash without hurting him." Bruce nodded and walked out the door. He walked down to Tim's room, where the doctor was standing over him.
"He'll be fine. I can see your worried." The doctor said. Bruce just nodded. "He'll need to head up to surgery to get the piece of glass out, seems it was deeper than we thought. Not life-threatening though. He'll just need a couple days to rest up afterwards." Bruce walked over to see a large piece of glass cut into Tim's pale chest. Tim was in a deep sleep after the nurses dosed him with anesthesia. "Then nurses are taking him up to surgery now, so I think we should go talk about the older boy."
"What about him?" Bruce said as they walked out into the hallway and into Dick's room.
"Well, you see, he's in a coma now, and the swelling in his leg hasn't gone down at all since he was first brought here, so we can't get the bullet out. And it's getting harder for him to breath. It's really up to him now to fight it out." The doctor set his clipboard down on the table next to Dick. "I'll leave you in here for now." And he walked away. Bruce sat in a chair next to Dick.
Beep
Beep
The monitor was slowly following his heartbeat.
Beep
Beep
Beepbeepbeepbeep
It sped up and Dick stared shaking violently.
"Doctor!" Many nurses filled the room. "What's going on?" Bruce said frantically.
"Not enough oxygen to the brain. He's seizing."
Bruce was pushed out into the hallway where suddenly Alfred stood. Bruce stared head on into the room, fear in his eyes.