Imposter

(Hey, finally got a chance to update! Also, I managed to estimate the approximate number of chapters left. I'd say this ought to be the third last chapter, unless they're a bit short. But don't fret! I might write another EJ FanFic in the future.... but not a sequel.)

(BTW: This is an actual up-to-date update. Written 28 Dec. 2016)

~Masky's PoV~

I stared in disbelief at Jenny, the girl who caused Jack to become... well... that. I quickly pulled out my gun and pointed it at her face. Based on what Jack said, she was the only one left alive, so she'd remember that day. A stupid idea, if you asked me.

Hoodie pointed his gun at her, just as she grabbed a pole and lunged at Toby. We shot at her, but she was moving unnaturally fast, and we couldn't hit her. She shoved the pole right through Toby's gut and jumped back, snarling

Toby looked down, somewhat surprised.

"Oh, look. I've been impaled." he said, then grins up at us. His smile faded when he saw our shocked faces.

"Oh... wait... is that a bad thing?" he said, then coughed up a bit of blood.

"Toby!" Hoodie exclaimed, then ran towards him.  I turned to Jenny and lifted my gun, but she was gone.

In her place, was a tall, skinny, pale looking thing, with sharp teeth and no eyes. Instead, it looked like it had a bunch of deep cuts on its head, almost healed, and in those "cuts", there almost seemed to be a few more small mouths. It had four arms and two legs. In short, it was ugly.

"What the fuck?!" I yelped and shot at it. It screeched at me and lunged, but I side stepped it. "Nasty!" I yelled.

"What is it?!" Hoodie yelled

I gave him a look that said "Really? You think I know?!", then tried shooting the thing again.

It gave another shriek, and then it ran off in a similar manner as a chimp would: almost on all fours with a weird hop in each step.

"Don't let it get away!" I yelled

"But what about the girl?! We need to find her and ask her where (Y/N) is!" Hoodie yelled back

"Guys... what if that was her?" Toby said. We looked at him, then looked at each other. Without a word, like we were reading each other's mind, we darted after the thing. Toby, still bleeding, but bandaged at least, looked at us for a second, then called out: "I'm gonna go look for (Y/N)!"

We barely heard him, though.

I raced down the hall, breathing fast, but even. This isn't the first time that I had to run after a target. The halls were fairly simple: Long, straight corridors, relatively old style, with not many turns to get lost in. The walls echoed, so we could hear quite far away, but that would mean it could hear us coming, too.

And that's the last thing I want to picture.

As we ran, I felt a cool breeze, like when you open a freezer, and a feeling like I'm walking through clouds: Breathing became a bit more difficult, a soft feeling brushed over my skin, and it was... well... humid.

I stopped and blinked, then saw that Hoodie did the same. We looked at each other, then walked on. I had an uneasy feeling in my gut all of a sudden. I looked around, and when the feeling started to reside, I took a breath and nodded to Hoodie for us to go on. We jogged down the hall, only to find a dead end.

"What the..? I was sure she went this way!" I exclaimed in confusion.

"...So did I..." Hoodie mumbled. I looked at him. He was wearing his mask, but I could tell how uneasy he was feeling already. I swallowed loudly, then turned around.

"Maybe... we missed a turn..." I looked in front of me, then walked right into another wall. I blinked and took a step back. My breath was speeding up, and a drop or two of sweat was running down my temple. I didn't even bother talking. I looked at Hoodie, who was backing up against a wall, starting to panic. As soon as he touched the wall, it disappeared and he fell down with a loud yelp.

I stared at him.

"It's an illusion..." I realized. I looked back at the wall I walked into, then touched it. My hand didn't go through.

"Some of it..." I muttered. I breathed out slowly, then walked over to Hoodie. I pulled him up and looked at him. He was quiet, as usual, but I could tell that there's whirlwind of thoughts up there. I gave him a reassuring nod, then walked along the new corridor. This one was empty and dark, with walls made of stone. It reminded me of a dungeon.  We walked down slowly, trying to calm our breathing. There were no doors, no windows, no furniture... nothing. There weren't lights, but for some reason, we could see. As if there was some sort of... ghost-light. It was cold and damp, but there wasn't water anywhere.

After about five minutes of walking, the corridor opened up, but there was no light. I saw a pebble close to the wall, and tossed it into the darkness. I didn't hear it fall. I crouched down and reached into the darkness. I felt for a floor, but I didn't feel anything. My hand couldn't move further, either. I got up and looked at Hoodie.

"All our senses get cancelled out there" I told him. He swallowed.

"You think they're in there?" I said his voice a bit shaky. I nodded slowly and stared into the darkness. He sighed and gripped my wrist. I looked at him, then he took a deep breath and nodded to me. I blinked, then realize what he was about to do. Before I could react, he sprinted into the room, dragging me with him. I didn't resist, though. I ran with him, at full speed, through the cold, numbing room. When I looked back, I couldn't see the corridor we came from. As we ran, I realized that I couldn't hear our footsteps at all. I couldn't feel the ground. I couldn't see anything. I didn't smell anything, either. My theory was correct, after all.

We ran, for what felt like an eternity, then a sudden light blinded us, and we stumbled to a halt, covering our eyes and grunting in pain. Spots danced behind my eyelids, and a sharp pain was stabbing through my skull. When the pain and the spots resided, I slowly opened my eyes and surveyed the scene. We were in a small room, similar to a doctor's office, with the bed, the cabinets with tools and medicine, and of course, a patient. At first, I didn't recognize the girl, but on closer inspection, I realized... It was (Y/N). Her hair was pitch black now, with little with streaks, like a night sky before the moon has risen.  Her skin wasn't grey anymore, either. It's white, almost like bone. Like a corpse.

"...(Y/N)...?" I said. She didn't react. I was about to reach out to her, but then I heard Hoodie yelp in surprise. I looked at him, then saw he was pointing his gun at the ceiling. I followed his gaze, and saw that thing crawling out a hole in the ceiling. I gave a disgusted and surprised cry, then grabbed a scalpel and threw it like a dagger, right into the creature's forehead. It dropped with a screech, then I picked up (Y/N).

"Let's go!" I yelled, as I pulled out the last few tubes from her body, then ran the hell out of there with Hoodie following close behind. The creature screeched in the distance, but we were already too far gone. We seemed to be close to the exit, because I recognized this place now. I heard (Y/N) groan, and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

After running through winding halls, we finally saw the door. I gave a cry of relief, then ran burst out the door, and drank in the blinding white light on the other side...