III

+ Both- 

Flashback

"You've got 30 seconds!"

"Don't forget to make sure your mic doesn't shift too much!"

"25 seconds!"

"Wait let me just fluff up your hair a little bit more!"

"And apply another layer of mascara!"

"20 seconds!"

"Remember which cameras to look into!"

"15 seconds!"

"And even when you think you've stuck the mic out to the audience enough, do it again!"

"10 seconds!"

"Most importantly-"

"What?!" Arianna finally snaps, finding herself nearing a breaking point.

Nix smiles and places her hand on Arianna's shoulder, "Breathe."

Arianna stares for a moment and then relaxes slightly, taking a deep breath, and shutting her eyes.

In those ten seconds, she allows her mind to fill with only good thoughts.

Her children.

Her husband.

Her friends.

Everything she's been through was for this moment.

She refused to allow fear and anxiety to rob her of her joy.

"...Aria!" She hears the announcers last portion, her name, before thunderous applause. Saying a quick prayer, she feels the platform slowly start to rise, as what little light she had below the stage is replaced with the darkness of the vast stage. The music starts to play and she inhales deeply.

On the first page of our story

The future seemed so bright

Then this thing turned out so evil

I don't know why I'm still surprised

Even angels have their wicked schemes

And you take that to new extremes

But you'll always be my hero

Even though you've lost your mind

The lights gradually come on, forming a sort of a circle around an elevated Aria. She's high enough so her feet dangle off the piano she's sitting on, but not too far for her to jump down when it calls for it.

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn

But that's all right because I like the way it hurts

Just gonna stand there and hear me cry

But that's all right because I love the way you lie

I love the way you lie

Ohhh, I love the way you lie

As the music fades out, the lights go off again and she quickly hops down off the piano. The light comes back on gradually as someone takes the mic from Arianna and it switches to her earpiece. Everything happens so fast that she doesn't even think before slowly strutting forward as the next song comes on and a kaleidoscope of colors start flashing all around.