XCIX

"Check mate!" I exclaimed with a huge grin on my face.

"Oh man," Riccardo muttered sadly. "I need a break and I'm hungry."

Riccardo stood up and walked out of the room and I heard him go down the stairs, he probably was going to check the fridge.

My brother had come four days ago and we had had so much fun even when I still can't leave my bed. He got several board games, cards, and brought almost his entire collection of video games.

I had never played chess before because no one bothered to teach me how it was played, Riccardo was patient enough with me and after four days I finally won.

My parents had gone back to Italy but they promised to come back soon, I had to be honest with them and told them they were stressing me, so the following days they just came for a few hours and instead of worrying about me like they had been doing we watched TV or talked about stuff that had been happening lately.

Riccardo wasn't supposed to come yet but he bought himself the ticket and got here without telling our parents, he still needed to go to school. My parents called the headmaster and told him Riccardo had gotten a very bad virus but he was going back to school next week, which was a complete lie.

Things had also been improving. I had two other check ups, one was six days after the one I had when my parents were here and everything seemed okay, so the doctor recommended us to keep waiting and the other check up wasn't in other six days, but ten.

I had another check up scheduled eleven day after that one, so in six days, that's if I still have to get it. Despite everything that happened and against all odds, I'm now only eight days away from my due date, but the baby could come any time now. The day was approaching really fast.

Even when things were improving and the doctor was being positive, I wasn't allowed to get out of bed yet. The doctor thought it was for the best, I'm almost done with this pregnancy anyway, so I could do this for another week. Especially now that my brother is here and entertains me really well.

Eight days ago Fiorella, my cousin's daughter turned one. She organized a big party for her, in the whatsapp group we have for the family many pictures were sent. One was of Fiorella and Natalia, they both had gotten so big.

The next day Fiorella's grandmother, so my aunt Valentina and aunt Veronica had their birthdays, one was turning forty-eight and the other forty-one.

And only three days ago my cousin Sabrina gave birth to a boy. Both of them are still in the hospital, but Bianca had sent a picture on the whatsapp group and that boy is just so adorable. He has very light blonde hair, it seems white, and apparently his eyes are blue. He is also a very big boy, he weighed more than Tomasso's kid and Uncle Gianluigi's.

So now, Uncle Fabrizio and Aunt Valentina have two grandchildren. A girl who just turned one, only five days before the boy was born. Both are very different though. Fiorella is a brunette and has grey eyes.